"Basel" Top 5 Page for this destination Basel by littlesam1

Basel Travel Guide: 510 reviews and 1,430 photos

We used Bern as our central location and did most of our traveling from here. Basel was only a two hour train ride from Bern. Basel really left me with mixed impressions. In my honest opinion it had the least restoration to its cathedrals and historical building of any city I had visited. However there are many wonderful historical sites to visit. They have just not really been restored or developed. I imagine this is because Basel is not a huge tourist draw. But I do believe with a little work and some cleaning up of its historical areas Basel could become a more desirable tourist stop. All of this being said I still would tell anyone to not miss or avoid Basel. It is a very beautiful and fascinating city. It just takes a little work to find the treasures here.

Basel is Switzerlands second largetst city. The origins of the city date back to 44 BC. Basel does seem like a quiet and laid back Swiss city but lets not forget LSD was first created here. There are many sides to this fascinating city.

• Last visit to Basel: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2003

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Great page. Looking forward to checking out some of your tips when I visit next week. Thanks - Brian

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 8:19 AM

Amazing what can be seen just wandering some unfamiiliar streets = this is what I like most during visits!!

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 6:24 AM

A useful insight into the city. Thanks.

• hojasdehierba's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2005 at 6:03 PM

Very vey good page! Thanks for sharing.

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 9:46 AM

Very interesting page, great tips and photos. I missed basel during my last visits of Switzerland, next time I'll definitely go. Greetings from Pakistan

• Mandy23's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2004 at 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the good tips. We wanna visit Basel in December. Greetings!

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2004 at 9:55 AM

Beautiful city. I did not visit it so I guess I must come back to Switzerland : )

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 12:42 PM

Good Basel pages. Funny I have to look out for that oldest house, I think I never saw it, yet. Thanx for your nice words about my city, and - yes, they could do more. Actually they are now.

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2004 at 11:04 AM

we pased Basel lots of time during our travels but never realy visit it, next time we have to take a look.

• Prasnjavi's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2004 at 10:12 AM

What a nice pix and tips you have here. Detailed informativ page. Thanks for haring.

littlesam1

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Badges & Stats in Basel