"Les Diablarets" Les Diablerets by littlesam1

Les Diablerets Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 19 photos

After spending several days in three of the major cities of Switzerland we moved on the to a small village in the French speaking Alps. I was able to get more of Swiss experience here after leaving the hustle of the cities behind. It was so different to be in a rural isolated Swiss village. I finally felt like I was in Switzerland and not just another Euorpean city.

One warning about moving out of the cities and into the country area. It is difficult to communicate. Although I know little German it was much easier to communicate in the German speaking cities of Bern, Basel, and Zurich. I do have some ability to speak a little French and yet I found it harder to communicate here in this French speaking village than in the German speaking cities. For one thing no one here spoke English or if they did it was very limited.

Les Diablarets is a small mountain village high in the Alps in the French speaking area of Switzerland. When I started inquiring about the area before taking the trip I kept getting the same response, "Its really in a remote area." When I finally arrived in Les Diablarets my first thought was "This is really a remote area."

You arrive in Les Diablarets by train. Now this is not your large train with many passenger cars. This is a small two car passenger trains that climbs the mountains between Aigle and Les Diablarets. Les Diablarets is at the end of the line after an hour train ride from Aigle.

This little symbol above is of a little devil boy playing a flute and dancing. He is the symbol of Les Diablarets and can be seen on almost every house and shop in the village. This large one stands in front of the tourist office.

• Last visit to Les Diablerets: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2003

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Larry, lovely little page with brilliant photos of Les Diablerets, which I haven't visited yet. It was great meeting you and Mark in Warsaw and Krakow.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM

This sounds and looks a nice area to visit!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Nice pace of Swiss Alpine village. Oh.. I am fond of cheese and chocolate fondue. SL :)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 7:10 AM

What a charming page about a charming village ;-)

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2005 at 9:36 AM

Like the dancing devils! Looks a very pretty little place. Pleased you managed to resist eating a horse, lol! Very nice page, I would like to explore Swizerland more one day. (~_~)

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2005 at 7:14 AM

I see some of my Swiss and German friends have commented here. They were my guides for places to see but never mentioned this village. I tried to see it all but missed those villages in the west.

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2004 at 12:30 PM

If you ever choose to go there in winter, take enough warm clothes with you. It can get sooooooo cold on the glacier!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2003 at 6:08 AM

Do not eat horse! No no no!

• rebibi's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2003 at 1:40 PM

I also like Les Diablerets and you know what? The weekend before we had lunch at Auberge de la poste. It was delicous! Nice page, Larry, on this small village.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2003 at 12:17 PM

Nice page. Les Diablerets is definitely worth a visit.

littlesam1

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Badges & Stats in Les Diablerets

Have you been to Les Diablerets?

Latest Activity in Les Diablerets