"Murren - The Bond Connection" Top 5 Page for this destination Mürren by littlesam1

Mürren Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 334 photos

The Guy in the Hat finds Piz Gloria

The guys in hats were having a great time visiting Switzerland. We saw many cities, many mountains, traveled on lots of trains and ate lots of great food. But for me the hightlight of the trip had to be the trip to Schilthorn. There are lots of mountains in the Swiss Alps. What makes Schilthorn so special you ask? For me, the James Bond film fanatic, it was the chance to visit the ultimate Bond fan location. Piz Gloria, home to Blofeld in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. But it is not easy getting here. You have to travel by train, inclined railway, and finally mountain aerial cable car to reach the peak of Schilthorn. But its a beautiful trip.

From our hotel in Bern we walked two blocks to the train station. Here we took the train to Interlaken. At Interlaken we had to change to a smaller train system which took us to Lauterbrunnen . We purchased our tickets to Schilthorn at the station in Interlaken for the round trip. At Lauterbrunnen we changed trains to the inclined railway. The inclined railway goes to Murren. You can not take a car to Murren. It can only be reached by the inclined railway or by an aerial cable car ride. After arriving in Murren we had to walk to the end of the town to the aerial cable cars that rise to Schilthorns 10,000 feet height. The cable cars are the longest aerial cable cars in the Alps.

Larry enters the World of Bond

This is my favorite picture from Schilthorn. I know it does not contain any mountain vistas or chalets. There are no sunsets or sun rises. Its just me in the middle of a James Bond action scene. There are many pictures on this page of the area and the scenery. As you look at the pictures on this page and see the mountains and the valleys and the beauty. Just remember that when I was taking those picture my mind was really in the middle of this scene. There is Telly Savalis, Diana Rigg, George Lazenby and me the guy in the hat.

• Pros:The beauty of the Alps and fantasy of a Bond movie
  • Cons:Difficult to reach. But worth the trip.
  • In a nutshell:Ultimate mountain top experience
  • Last visit to Mürren: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2003

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Larrry, Check out my video on the ride up to Schilthorn, I think you'll enjoy the ride up again. youtube.com/watch?v=suAabbCK...

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

You have some great pictures up at the top of Schilthorn on a good day for a view. It looks like a very nice place to visit, and you surely enjoyed the time there.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Thanks for sharing your lovely photo's and tips on this beautiful area.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Hope you had your martine shaken and not stirred. lol. ;-)

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Happy belated Birthday! I was delayed 48 hours getting back from Madagascar! I hope you had a great Birthday!!!!

• mecute's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 9:15 AM

ver good photo

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 6:34 AM

Nicce page!

• Lyndra's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Note to self: unpack all high heel shoes for visit to Switzerland as they may not be suitable for the terrain!! He He :-)

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 7:29 AM

Wonderful made page here, and Murren is a nice -and typically swiss place. I am not surprised about having hail up there, even in summer: the mountains are dangerous because the weather changes that fast. Next time u know and take a sweater with u :-)

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2006 at 6:16 PM

Obviously, you're a Bond fan. We tried to get to the Schilthorn, but it was fogged in, so we stopped at Muerren. Thanks for showing us what we missed! Cheers, Mark

littlesam1

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Badges & Stats in Mürren