"Sedlec and The Macbre Bone Church" Sedlec by littlesam1
Sedlec Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 25 photos
Without question one of the most interesting places I have ever visited is the Kostnice or Ossuary in Sedlac. When I started my research for the trip to Prague I kept coming across references to Kostnice and the Ossuary in Sedlac. I was not familiar with the term Ossuary. Following the references on the internet I came across bizarre pictures of a church decorated with human bones. So I thought it was time to find out what this term Ossuary meant. The dictionary definition of ossuary is "a depository for the bones of the dead." And that is what you actually find at the Ossuary in Sedlec. If you look closely at this picture you will see the sculpture of a human skeleton head on the wall surrounding this church. This will only begin to prepare you for what waits inside.
Sedlec is located approximately 3km north east of Kutna Hora. Although considered a suburb it actually predates Kutna Hora buy a few hundred years. Originally a Monastery was founded here in the 1100's.
The monastery became very popular in the region because, as the legend goes, an abbot brought some earth from the Holy Land and sprinkled it on the monastery's graveyard. Because of this many people wanted to be buried in the consecrated soil. Many people also died here from the plague. In the 14th century the All Saints Chapel was built. This forced clearing of the cemetary and the monks here brought the bones into the church creating large pyramids of bones.
Finally in 1870 the Schwarzenberg family bought the monastery and hired Frantisek Rint to create the decorations made from the bones.
Today it is said there are over 40,000 bodies represented by the bones in the chapel.
Here on the wall of the church is the signature of the artist Frantisek Rint. And in keeping with the theme the signature is created all with bones.
- Pros:One of the most unusual things I have ever seen.
- Cons:Macbre and perhaps too bizarre for some. But I was fascinated.
- In a nutshell:Where else can you find a church decoreated in bones.
How many Coat of Arms are really made out of human arms? I think that is a good question. Here I am standing by the... more travel advice
This is a huge chalice made of bones that I am standing under. I kept saying "Take a picture of me here." all through... more travel advice
littlesam1's Related Pages
Sedlec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sedlec and The Macbre Bone Church"
- "Kutna Hora"
- "East of Prague"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sedlec
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Sedlec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sedlec
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 55 reviews, 141 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Buenos Aires Intro, 23 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mürren Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue