"Waxing Poetic with Wordsworth and Tintern Abbey" Top 5 Page for this destination Tintern Abbey by littlesam1

Tintern Abbey Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 105 photos

"the weary weight...Is lightened" Worsdworth

I knew when Mark, Katie, and I started to plan this trip to Ireland and to Wales we all talked about things we each wanted to see. I knew my must see location would be Tintern Abbey. I studied Wordsworth in high school, and unlike most school kids, was fascinated with his poetry. I had read his poem “Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, on Revisiting the Banks of the Wye during a Tour. July 13, 1798.” many times and have always wanted to see the location that inspiried this piece of work. Wordsworth talks in the poem of how he carried the vision with him and when he is in a busy city, or in a hectic crowd, the memory brings him back to a day of peace. I wanted to see this place that caused him to write

"In which the heavy and the weary weight. Of all this unintelligble world, is lightened..."

Today Tintern Abbey is somewhat restored. You can walk amoung the ruins. You can walk by the shore of the River Wye. And yes, even being there with friends and other visitors, I was able to understand why this place was important to Wordsworth. Its been a long journey from 8th grade English class in 1964 to Tintern Abbey 2011. But it was worth the journey.

Its not all Romantic Poetry. There is also history

Tintern Abbey also known in Welsh as Abaty Tyndyrn, was founded by Walter de Clare, Lord of Chepstow, on 9 May 1131. This was long before Wordsworth immortalized it in his poem. Its located in the village of Tintern. Its on the River Wye which creates the Welsh/English border. Its historically the second Cistercian Abbey in Britain and the first in Wales.

Its easiest to reach the Abbey if you have a car. There are no direct tour busses from Cardiff or Bristol to the Abbey. There are country side tour groups that include the Abbey on their itinery. You can take the train to Chepstow and then hire a taxi to the Abbey.

• Last visit to Tintern Abbey: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2011

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Hey Larry, Hope you are well. I loved reading your Tintern page, it brought back some good memories :-)

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Can't wait to see more of this, Larry! I missed you guys in Wales by 6 months. (I didn't get to see enough of the country.) I wish VT had a planning thing like other travel sites so they could easily see when others are visiting places.

littlesam1

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Badges & Stats in Tintern Abbey

Have you been to Tintern Abbey?

Photos in Tintern Abbey