"Lillehammer - Home to the 1994 Winter Olympics" Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer by littlesam1

Lillehammer Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 349 photos

Lillehammer is a small town of only 6,000 people. Yet it hosted the entire world in 1994 for the Olympics. It is the smallest town to ever host the Olympics. The town lies on the northern end of Lake Mjosa, Norways largest lake.

The train ride to Lillehammer from Olso takes a little less than 2 hours. But 160 km ride seems to fly by as you travel past the beautiful lake and mountain scenery.

During the winter Lillehammer is a ski enthusiasts paradise. Along with the Olympic venues Lillehammer is considered one of the best cross country ski resorts in Norway.

Being a big Olympic enthusiasts Lillehammer was a must see on my tour of Norway. Having the opportunity to see the arena where Nancy Kerrigan faced Tonya Harding on the ice was something I could not pass. I have the official video's from the 1994 Olympics which I watched once more before leaving on my trip knowing I would get to see where it all took place.

• Last visit to Lillehammer: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2007

• Saagar's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Nice page! Just want to hint that Lillehammer has 25000 people, a tad more than the 6000 you mention...

• Jan 28, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Looks like a nice place! I had never seen any photos of it before!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Fantastic place!!! It is a pity that I couldn't see it when I was in Norway!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 6:04 AM

Lillehammer must have pulled out all the stops for the Olympics--have a nice holiday. Regards from Texas...

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 10:03 AM

I love the Olympics too! The hosting towns always seem to be magical as seen on TV--- I miss Jim McKay narrating on TV. I collect Olympic pins. Still need to get some from Torino!!

• Mar 20, 2006 at 8:02 AM

LoL @ Bob(sled)Larry. Was at open & closing weekend. HORRIBLE to walk in Storgata! What a great photo of Ådne Sønderål, 2' best after Johan Olav Koss. Great guy, now trainer.

• novsco61's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2005 at 6:14 AM

You bring back my memories of this little town.I was there one year before the Olympics. It sure looks different now with all this memorabilia.

littlesam1

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Badges & Stats in Lillehammer

Have you been to Lillehammer?

Latest Activity in Lillehammer