Amsterdam Local Custom Tips by BlueBerry_7
Amsterdam Local Customs: 413 reviews and 409 photos
The weed and hash menu is displayed openly for people to see. Look and decide what you want to purchase, or not. It is a CHOICE.
Even though they are not really known for their weed, I have heard that the Warm Ears Hash on the menu is some awesome stuff.
La Canna Coffeeshop cafe offers the freedom to purchase and smoke weed and hash openly without fear of persecution.
La Canna, it is a very spacious coffeeshop - it has 3 floors! There are lots of tables and floors 2 & 3 have 3 pooltables and a bar on each floor. And it's not too far from Central Station which makes it a great location.
The Dutch traditionally roll 'cone'~'joints' which are quite unique and very smooth to toke on, it is now my preferred way to smoke weed. Pre-rolled cones are available at coffeeshops and souviner shops so that learning to roll a cone is not necessary.
Other Contact: Home of the Giant PreRolled Cone
The most important thing to remember about all public toilets in Amsterdam, apart from being calling "toiletten" or "WC" and not "rest room",is not the usual male and female distinction but to pay the person who sits at the entrance. There will be a little saucer or cup on a table where you can put the entrance money which is usually only a bit of change.
The Dutch government requires that all taxes and service charges be included in the published prices of hotels, restaurants, cafes, discos, nightclubs, beauty/barbershops, and sightseeing companies.
Even taxi fare includes taxes and a standard 15% tip. To be absolutely sure in a restaurant, for example, that tax and service are included, look for the words inclusief BTW en service (BTW is the abbreviation for the Dutch words that mean value-added tax)-or ask. The Dutch are so accustomed to having these charges included that many restaurants have stopped spelling it out.
Dutch waitpersons appreciate tips and rely on them to supplement their salary. To tip as the Dutch do, leave any small change up to the next euro in a cafe or snack bar; in a restaurant, leave up to the next 5 euro or more if you think the service was particularly good. .
It has become a custom of the channels.nl forum posters to get together at the Rookies coffeeshop in Amsterdam. To easily identify forum posters, the Channels buttons were worn and members found it fun to have meetings and smoke together. People from all over, well everywhere, coming together to share a toke of the sacred herb. Life is good in Amsterdam!
Other Contact: Great, informative site!
Just this year the Netherlands changed over from using Guilders to the new Euro.
The Netherlands always used Guilders as their national currency until it changed to Euros just this year. I condsider my 10 Gulden note a collector's item not just a souviner!
Just the fact that marijuana is tolerated and sold openly in coffeeshops makes this country a cultural delight:) True Freedom!
More Reviews (164)
- See All Amnesia Coffeeshop
- See All Peppinos
- See All Frederic Rental Bike
- See All Rent a Bike
- See All Botel
- See All Police Station
BlueBerry_7's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 173 Reviews
- 280 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 80 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pleasures in Paradise Daily Reports ~ Trip 3"
- Wrote a Review Amnesia Coffeeshop in Amsterdam Nightlife
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "RE: too early but got me anxious!"
- Commented on one of Rob1967's Amsterdam travel pages
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (280)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 173 reviews, 280 photos, 5 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 55 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- North Carolina Intro, 10 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Carolina Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zandvoort Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- The Bahamas Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Dordrecht Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 144 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 210 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 66 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 166 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do