"England in the Springtime" United Kingdom by KathyW
United Kingdom Travel Guide: 92,706 reviews and 218,682 photos
We spent ten days in England in late April/early May 1999. Although we were well-prepared with raincoats and umbrellas, we were blessed with glorious weather.... only one afternoon with a few clouds (actually the day at Leeds Castle, shown above). We wanted to see a lot of the country and during our ten days experienced a variety of contrasts in this small country. We rented a car as we left London. Once my husband got used to driving on a different side of the road, we enjoyed the freedom that a car provides. Although our reservations were made in advance, our days were not planned.
Our general itinerary:
Three nights in London
Three nights in the Cotswolds (near Stow-on-the-Wold)
Two nights in Clovelly, North Devon
Two nights in Rye, East Sussex
We did a lot of driving the last five days since our destinations were long distances apart. (I have mixed emotions about having done this... although we thoroughly enjoyed the places we went, two of our ten days were spent mainly getting from one place to another. Driving time is not necessarily wasted time if you plan your route through places of interest.)
In addition to the places where we "based", we also visited Stratford-on-Avon, Blenheim Palace, Glastonbury Abbey, Lyme Regis, Sissinghurst Castle and Gardens, and Leeds Castle.
We love England. We love the big cosmopolitan city of London, the simple countryside of the Cotswolds, the rugged coast of North Devon, and the lavish castles and gardens of Kent. We're now planning our next visit to England for May 2001. We can't wait to see more of this beautiful country, so rich with history and heritage.
I love the pastoral countryside of the Cotswolds. This picture was taken in Bibury, considered by some the most... more travel advice
Spend several hours (or several days) walking in the Cotswolds! There are over 3300 miles of footpaths, bridleways and... more travel advice
KathyW's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "United Kingdom Adventure"
- "A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information"
- "UNITED KINGDOM"
- "Jet Ski!"
- "Christmas 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 25 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Germany Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- France Intro, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Blowing Rock Intro, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- North Carolina Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Savannah Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Munich 5 reviews, 3 photos
Top United Kingdom hotels
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Manchester Hotels
- 1718 Reviews - 3897 Photos
- Blackpool Hotels
- 476 Reviews - 889 Photos
- York Hotels
- 1619 Reviews - 3913 Photos
- Bournemouth Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 441 Photos
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3354 Reviews - 6585 Photos
- Llandudno Hotels
- 242 Reviews - 475 Photos
- Torquay Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 229 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1218 Reviews - 1968 Photos
- Liverpool Hotels
- 1248 Reviews - 2164 Photos
- Birmingham Hotels
- 765 Reviews - 1269 Photos
- Bristol Hotels
- 745 Reviews - 1659 Photos
- Eastbourne Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 187 Photos
- Scarborough Hotels
- 276 Reviews - 409 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 884 Photos