"Millennium Memories of Paris" Paris by KathyW
Paris Travel Guide: 22,810 reviews and 56,536 photos
Above, our daughter Kelly (age 6), the flooded Seine, and the fabulous Eiffel Tower. The next night it would shimmer with lights, watched by millions around the world-- and the Wood Family in Paris.
I've visited Paris three times-- and long to go again! I spent three days in Paris in December 1991 with two friends (before I got married). Then in 1994 I returned with my husband and our 14-month old daughter. We stayed a week and rented a small apartment on the Right Bank.
But the trip we'll remember most was just a few months ago. We arrived in Paris by train late on the evening of December 29-- three of the many visitors arriving for the Millennium celebration. We had a great hotel (the Hotel Burgundy) very conveniently located on the Right Bank and thoroughly enjoyed our four nights and three days in Paris. We arrived three days after the terrible storms that caused such awful damage, especially at Versailles. Yes, it was very crowded-- we gave up on the lines at the Musee d'Orsay and Notre Dame. The Eiffel Tower was closed for security. The River Seine was flooded and the famous Bateaux Mouche were not operating. And on top of that, it poured down rain on the afternoon of the 30th. But we had a WONDERFUL memorable time, capped off by the midnight celebration welcoming the new year/decade/century/millennium. We observed as part of an enormous crowd at the Place de la Concorde, all eyes fixed on the Eiffel Tower! Bonne Annee!
If you are staying a week, rent an apartment! For our 1994 trip, we rented an efficiency apartment through Rent A Home... more travel advice
KathyW's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "JE SUIS CHARLIE!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 3 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Germany Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- France Intro, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Blowing Rock Intro, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salzburg Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- North Carolina Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Savannah Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Munich 5 reviews, 3 photos