"Millennium Memories of Paris" Paris by KathyW

Paris Travel Guide: 22,628 reviews and 55,551 photos

Above, our daughter Kelly (age 6), the flooded Seine, and the fabulous Eiffel Tower. The next night it would shimmer with lights, watched by millions around the world-- and the Wood Family in Paris.

I've visited Paris three times-- and long to go again! I spent three days in Paris in December 1991 with two friends (before I got married). Then in 1994 I returned with my husband and our 14-month old daughter. We stayed a week and rented a small apartment on the Right Bank.

But the trip we'll remember most was just a few months ago. We arrived in Paris by train late on the evening of December 29-- three of the many visitors arriving for the Millennium celebration. We had a great hotel (the Hotel Burgundy) very conveniently located on the Right Bank and thoroughly enjoyed our four nights and three days in Paris. We arrived three days after the terrible storms that caused such awful damage, especially at Versailles. Yes, it was very crowded-- we gave up on the lines at the Musee d'Orsay and Notre Dame. The Eiffel Tower was closed for security. The River Seine was flooded and the famous Bateaux Mouche were not operating. And on top of that, it poured down rain on the afternoon of the 30th. But we had a WONDERFUL memorable time, capped off by the midnight celebration welcoming the new year/decade/century/millennium. We observed as part of an enormous crowd at the Place de la Concorde, all eyes fixed on the Eiffel Tower! Bonne Annee!

• Last visit to Paris: Jan 2000
  • Intro Written Sep 3, 2002

KathyW

“Travel with your child-- it opens your eyes!”

Ranked Member