"Hamilton ~ Bermuda's Friendly Capital City" Hamilton by starship

Hamilton Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 93 photos

Day Trip to Hamilton

With only two and one-half days in which to explore Bermuda, we reasoned that it might be best to begin our visit by making a day trip to the largest city, Hamilton. As well as being the capital of Bermuda, Hamilton arguably has the most to see and do of as far as having important historical buildings, museums, shopping, art galleries, restaurants, and parks. In the last day and a half, we also planned to visit St. George's (a UNESCO World Heritage site), the Royal Naval Dockyard which is located in Sandy's Parish, and last but not least, some of the world famous pink beaches.

As the center of Bermuda's important banking and insurance industries, Hamilton is the largest center of employment as well. [It might be interesting to note, that according to one resident, tourism has been supplanted by banking and insurance as the main sources of Bermuda's revenue.]

With a good map in hand, much of the city can be seen on foot, and a good deal of it, if not all of it, can be seen for free. We spent about 4-5 hrs. there seeing some, but not all that attracted our attention---those places we checked off of the "must see" list were the Sessions House (from the outside), City Hall and its ensconced art museums, Perot Post Office, Par-la-Ville Park, the Hog Penny Pub, the Birdcage, the Most Holy Trinity Cathedral, the Cenotaph, and some shops. We managed to try two places to eat. But, we missed any events scheduled for the evening. That being said, I'd say we have more than enough reason to revisit Bermuda in the future!

Visiting Bermuda by Ship ~ Perfect!

Just on the ship's pier, which was tied up at King's Wharf, a little kiosk sold passes in varying lengths of time for ferries and buses. We purchased a 2-day pass good for unlimited rides on ferries and buses for $20 per person (Oct. 2011 price) which is a very good deal --- individual rides can run $4.50 each way. So if you intend to make several trips in one day, day passes are the way to go. (It is considerably less expensive than taking a licensed taxi. However, at least once we did take an unlicensed taxi when we were in a time pinch!)

We hopped aboard the 10:30 am ferry to Hamilton. The scenic 20-25 minute ride brought us to the foot of the Front Street ferry terminal and the Tourist Information Center was only a few steps away. The nice people at the Tourist Information Center stand at the ready to dispense maps, information, advice, sell ferry & bus passes or tokens, and even postcards.

As an added bonus to convenience, from the Information Center you can enter Dangelini's Cafe
for that morning coffee, tea, pastry or bite to eat you might not have had yet. Judging by the crowd that morning, Dangelini's seemed to be quite a popular stop with the locals and tourists alike.

Documenting It!

Like crossing the borders of some countries in Europe (EU countries) where entering a new country does not automatically guarantee a stamp in your passport, so was the case for us when arriving in Bermuda by ship. But since we like collecting passport stamps if at all possible, we made it a point to try to find e where we could get it done.

The lady at the Tourist Information Center near the ferry port directed us to the Custom House on Front Street which wasn't far away. The Custom House is a busy place but we didn't mind waiting for the officer in charge to stamp our passports "Hamilton, Bermuda - Arrived by Sea."
This stamp is one of my favorite "souvenirs" of our visit to Bermuda!

• Pros:Beautiful beaches, friendly people, green island, peaceful
  • Cons:Can be expensive to stay & eat here!!
  • In a nutshell:When can I go back????
  • Last visit to Hamilton: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM

A really nice page Sylvia! Nice statues, interesting portrait of the Queen, a pity the Policeman wasn't in the Birdcage just for you to photograph!

• starship's Profile Photo
      Sep 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Dee, thank you so much for visiting and rating this page! Bermuda is a really, lovely country to visit and I can't wait to go back!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Sep 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I am hoping we may get here one day on a cruise!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I enjoyed learning about the Cenotaph memorial and Cabinet Building! Another fantastic page Sylvia!

• starship's Profile Photo
      Feb 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Hi Dee, thanks for stopping by! I really think visiting Bermuda was one of our best vacations. Such a nice place--very scenic, very low key atmosphere, and relaxing.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Wow, great page & photos Sylvia! It's been decades (literally!) since I've been to Bermuda. Would love to go back and it's so convenient to go out of Bayonne! How was the weather when you were there in October? Was it warm enough to swim? The Smokin' Barrel looks like my kind of place and I do remember the Birdcages! Thanks for sharing.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM

It looks like you enjoyed a great time with the friendly people of Hamilton. Brilliant page here. I must admit that I have nebver heard of "Gombey" before.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Looks like you had a great time here. Love the story about the "Gombeys"

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2012 at 5:49 AM

I’m impressed by your detailed and informative tips on Hamilton. Good that the people are so friendly and it is so easy to strike up a conversation. I like that. And I like that sculpture of the mother and children sitting and reading on the bench.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM

It seems odd to see so many European buildings in a town so far away - and even that picture of the Queen! And yes, the Cenotaph looks just like our London one. But the lovely oleanders are not so English and neither are the Gombey troupes, despite the Mummer influence ;-)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Bermuda sounds very exotic to me but it doesn't look exotic at all. Thanks for showing that part of the world.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM

The Perot Post Office looks lovely, and the Gombeys would be interesting to see! Great informative tips Sylvia!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Yay! First to rate! Hamilton is such a lovely city. Just love the statue at Hamilton City Hall, very special. Excellent page!

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Hamilton

Have you been to Hamilton?

Latest Activity in Hamilton