"Quaint and Charming Fredericksburg, Virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by starship
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 246 photos
When the announcement was made that a VT Meet was being held in Fredericksburg, Virginia, I immediately signed up! Not only was I excited about attending my first VT meet and finally meeting some great VT people, but I was also looking forward to visiting Fredericksburg for the first time. VT members came from as far away as the U.K., Canada and California!
Fredericksburg oozed Southern charm!! It was quaint, unpretentious, full of history, extremely visitor friendly and walkable! AND, if you love American history, you'll love Fredericksburg!
Zana ("Zanzooni") who planned and executed the details of the meet, did a great job of scheduling a number of varied activities and places for us to visit. The Thursday night meet & greet dinner, which was held at the Inn at the Old Silk Mill and catered by Zana herself, kicked off the weekend festivities. Many of us were staying at the Inn and it served admirably as a base from which all activities began.
Friday afternoon a convoy of vehicles transported many of us to the Lake Anna Winery for a tour and wine tasting. Beautiful, sunny weather and the changing color of leaves was a stunning backdrop for the lovely vineyard. It might not have been Napa Valley, but we all enjoyed our time there as we learned about the history of the winery and how much work goes into making a good wine.
That evening many of us signed up for the "Ghost Walk" in old, downtown Fredericksburg. At dusk, we gathered at the Visitor's Center where the tours begin. The light was fading fast when our young guide, dressed in period garb and carrying an old lantern, arrived to whisk us into the darkening streets. Stopping at various spots, he introduced us to tales of ghosts and strange happenings in Fredericksburg. Whether the tales are to be believed or not, it was fun!
Unfortunately we had to leave the following day and so were not able to visit Luray Caverns with the group or attend the farewell dinner at TruLuv's on the Rappahannock River. Nevertheless, we had a marvelous time meeting everyone and discovering Fredericksburg.
- Pros:Charming downtown; lots of history; beautiful setting; visitor friendly!
- Cons:Didn't find one!
- In a nutshell:Quaint and perfect for lovers of history!
After our meet & greet dinner at the Fredericksburg VT meet, Chris (Foundryman1) was exceptionally kind and brought... more travel advice
After the drive to Lake Anna Winery in Spotsylvania, we returned to downtown Fredericksburg for another look and a quick... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quaint and Charming Fredericksburg, Virginia"
- "Fredericksburg: A Sweet Little Town"
- "Fredericksburg - a Great Meet!"
- "Historic Civil War area"
- "Historic Fredericksburg on the Rappahannock River"
- "Fredericksburg VT meet"
- "Old town Fredericksburg!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 13 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
- Posted in Travel Seattle Forum "Re: Favorite things to do"
- Commented on one of starship's Fredericksburg travel pages
- updated a Fredericksburg Travel Page "Quaint and Charming Fredericksburg, Virginia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Give Local Brewery A Try!"
- Wrote a Review Give Local Brewery A Try! in Fredericksburg Restaurants
Photos in FredericksburgSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 33 reviews, 141 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 27 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 19 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue