"Quaint and Charming Fredericksburg, Virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by starship

Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 246 photos

~ Fredericksburg and My First VT Meet ~

When the announcement was made that a VT Meet was being held in Fredericksburg, Virginia, I immediately signed up! Not only was I excited about attending my first VT meet and finally meeting some great VT people, but I was also looking forward to visiting Fredericksburg for the first time. VT members came from as far away as the U.K., Canada and California!

Fredericksburg oozed Southern charm!! It was quaint, unpretentious, full of history, extremely visitor friendly and walkable! AND, if you love American history, you'll love Fredericksburg!

Zana ("Zanzooni") who planned and executed the details of the meet, did a great job of scheduling a number of varied activities and places for us to visit. The Thursday night meet & greet dinner, which was held at the Inn at the Old Silk Mill and catered by Zana herself, kicked off the weekend festivities. Many of us were staying at the Inn and it served admirably as a base from which all activities began.

Friday afternoon a convoy of vehicles transported many of us to the Lake Anna Winery for a tour and wine tasting. Beautiful, sunny weather and the changing color of leaves was a stunning backdrop for the lovely vineyard. It might not have been Napa Valley, but we all enjoyed our time there as we learned about the history of the winery and how much work goes into making a good wine.

That evening many of us signed up for the "Ghost Walk" in old, downtown Fredericksburg. At dusk, we gathered at the Visitor's Center where the tours begin. The light was fading fast when our young guide, dressed in period garb and carrying an old lantern, arrived to whisk us into the darkening streets. Stopping at various spots, he introduced us to tales of ghosts and strange happenings in Fredericksburg. Whether the tales are to be believed or not, it was fun!

Unfortunately we had to leave the following day and so were not able to visit Luray Caverns with the group or attend the farewell dinner at TruLuv's on the Rappahannock River. Nevertheless, we had a marvelous time meeting everyone and discovering Fredericksburg.

• Pros:Charming downtown; lots of history; beautiful setting; visitor friendly!
  • Cons:Didn't find one!
  • In a nutshell:Quaint and perfect for lovers of history!
  • Last visit to Fredericksburg: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 2, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Sounds like this was a great place for a VT meeting! Plenty of history and wine and your Hotel with its beautiful furniture appealed to me.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Thanks for reading and rating my pages, Dee! Fredericksburg was a nice place for the meet. The hotel was very nice, though a real splurge for the budget!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I would really have loved to have made it to this meeting! The town looks so quaint and interesting, and you all clearly had a great time together.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Hi Sarah, I wish you could have been at this meet too! I think you would have enjoyed it. Hope to meet you in person at a meet some day!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 16, 2014 at 5:40 AM

Oh, yes, I hope so too!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

This looks like a lovely place for a VT meeting!

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Hi Don, thanks for visiting my Fredericksburg page. We really enjoyed this town and as it was my first VT meet, it was really special!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Sylvia, lovely little page about Fredericksburg. I have first heard about this place because of its well visited VT meeting. - Merry Christmas and a happy new year 2012.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Happy Belated Birthday Sylvia! I had to work all day yesterday. I hope you had a great day!

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Good to meet you too! I still have some tips to write, and was admiring yours.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Very nice page and nice to see that you got to meet all those good vt folks.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Wow, Sylvia, these are fantastic tips. So thorough and enticing. I'll return soon to see if you are completed.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Sylvia, your tips about Fredricksburg are very well written and informative! Great you got to your first VT-meeting!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I will return Sylvia! Looks like your still typing away. I bet that was fun visiting! Frederickburg looks wonderful. Great tips so far:)

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg

Have you been to Fredericksburg?