"Happily Situated in Hamilton, New Jersey" Hamilton by starship
Hamilton Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 72 photos
This page attempts to describe only one attraction in the town of Hamilton, New Jersey and that is the "Grounds for Sculpture" Museum. On a hot and sunny day in late August, two friends and I set off for a place only 45 minutes from my home, but one I had never heard of. Located in Hamilton, New Jersey, the "Grounds for Sculpture" is a 35-acre, artistic oasis which I venture to say most New Jerseyans have never heard of. The Grounds for Sculpture is quite possibly one of the best-kept secrets of New Jersey, along with the "Tear Drop 9/11 Memorial" in Bayonne which was a gift from the people of Russia. (Please see my "Off the Beaten Track" tip for "Tear Drop" Memorial" information.)
The Grounds for Sculpture was the brainchild of Seward Johnson, who believed that art could and should be appreciated by all. The beautifully lancdscaped grounds are the backdrop for more than 250 works of art by well-known and emerging artists.
The Grounds for Sculpture features a large and wide variety of sculpture exhibits in the outdoors as well as many housed in various buildings on the grounds -- stone, metal, re-used tires, plastics, and even synthetic molded materials lend themselves to manipulation by the artists and are open to your own interpretation.
Be sure to check the website and calendar for current exhibits, concerts, special events, speakers, and dining events at the Grounds for Sculpture. (groundsforsculpture.org)
Anyone can do a self-guided tour of the Grounds for Sculpture and the visitor will see that great care & planning has been taken with the landscape to make it as appealing and interesting as the sculpture itself. Even if looking at art is not your favorite past time, strolling the beautiful "Grounds for Sculpture" in spring, summer or fall can be part of a most pleasurable day. Taken in context, the landscape itself becomes the "frame" for each work of art.
If you prefer to have a guided tour, these are available by appointment.
Guided tours are available to schools and other student or adult groups by appointment only. For more information, please call Yoriko Franklin, Tour Coordinator at (609) 586-0616.
However: "Weekend drop-in tours are offered April - October. Drop-in tours are scheduled for Saturdays and Sundays at 11am and 1pm. From May 14 - September 4, 2011, there will be an additional weekend tour offered at 3pm. Reservations are not required for drop-in tours and there is no additional charge to participate. Meet Grounds For Sculpture's Volunteer Docents inside the Visitor's Center 10 minutes before the hour.
Don't forget to stop by the Seward Johnson Center for the Arts not only for any new exhibits but for the short film offered there. Also, visit the "Toad Hall Gift Shop and Gallery" where unique pieces of art & jewelery are for sale.
Hours of Operation
10am-6pm Open year-round.
Closed Mondays except Labor Day and Memorial Day.
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Also closed to the public for Members only events.
A quick check of the website revealed that admission fees for 2013 remain the same as 2 years ago.
Admission Prices (2011)
Senior (65+) $10
Children (6-17) $8
Members and Children (5 and under) free
Pay at the entry gate and don't forget to obtain a map of the grounds.
All photos from the Monuments website I will assume few people in this country know about this memorial monument and I... more travel advice
One of the more interesting features of this outdoor art gallery was the number of life-like sculptures based on... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Hamilton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Happily Situated in Hamilton, New Jersey"
- "Step Into a Painting"
- "Hamilton- Grounds for Sculpture"
- "Grounds for Sculpture"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hamilton
- 8 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Hamilton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamilton
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Accomondation"
- Commented on one of starship's Hamilton travel pages
- updated a Hamilton Travel Page "Happily Situated in Hamilton, New Jersey"
- Wrote a Review "To the Struggle Against Terrorism" Monument in Hamilton Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to ""To the Struggle Against Terrorism" Monument"
Photos in HamiltonSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 31 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belfast Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues