"A STEP BACK IN TIME" Top 5 Page for this destination Cape May by starship

Cape May Travel Guide: 305 reviews and 564 photos

Cape May ~ Victorian Period Masterpiece

At the end of December, 2007, we made a day trip to Cape May where we had lunch at our favorite place, visited the annual "Designer Showcase House" and generally had a ride around town. There was much more to do during the Christmas season, but time did not permit it. Unfortunately most of my pictures I took that day did not turn out well, but I have tried to add some.

To me, Cape May is beautiful no matter what time of year it is, but in Summer this little town seems to burst forth in spectacular splendor! Cape May is one of my favorite places, not only in New Jersey but in the world! Cape May combines many of the things I love the most all in one place. It has the most beautiful seaside location with a lovely beach, fabulously preserved Victorian architecture, shady streets filled with restaurants and shops, bicycles and a colorful parade of people carrying their belongings to the edge of the ocean where they will spend the rest of the day. If I could, this is the place I would spend my summers.

Unfortunately, I am not the only person to be smitten by Cape May's beauty. I would love to have a summer home here but Cape May's charm can now be afforded only by the very wealthy.

~ July 4th, 2005 ~ A Picture Perfect Day in Cape May!

Visited my favorite place, Cape May, on July 4th! If possible, Cape May was more beautiful than ever!! Tourists were happily strolling or riding bicycles all around town. Colorful beach umbrellas dotted the wide, white sand beach as the surf lapped close to childrens' sandcastles, and an array of beach blankets. Sidewalk cafes were full of those enjoying their meals alfresco. The shade of old and stately trees did not diminish the beauty of the pastel-painted, Victorian homes or Bed & Breakfasts lining the narrow streets. Gardens were brimming with flowers of every color, but the gardens and fountain of the MAINSTAY INN were particularly beautiful and complimented the radiant yellow-hued bed & breakfast itself!! Many of those lucky enough to be guests took advantage of the perfect nooks for reading or just relaxing on the grand porches of these magnificent Victorians. Flags waved and red, white & blue buntings were tastefully draped from balconies, porches and fences in recognition of the Fourth of July!!

• Pros:History, Victorian Architecture, Fabulous Beach, Abundant Charm
  • Cons:Parking is almost impossible!
  • In a nutshell:Victorian Paradise on the Atlantic Ocean!
  • Last visit to Cape May: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 17, 2014

• SONG's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2014 at 8:58 AM

>>>>Cape May's charm can now be afforded only by the very wealthy.
    Cape May has always been the seaside resort preference of the wealthy. My Dad grew up in the Cape May and Wildwood area so I spent 2-3 weeks there every summer as a youngster. I thought ALL beaches were as wide as those in Jersey. During college I took a spring break trip to Florida where the beaches are generally a lot narrower. I hope to take my nieces and nephews to CM and Wildwood in the near future to see their heritage. I stayed at the Angel of the Sea B & B the last time I visited CM. I agree with you. It is lovely.
    Kathy in Florida

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Hi Kathy, I do agree it's expensive to stay there, and almost all year 'round too! You were lucky to be able to spend several weeks there each summer when you were growing up!

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2014 at 3:57 AM

I enjoyed this tour of Cape May. I spent many summers as a young teen in Wildwood. My parents would always take us to Cape May for the day. I was too young to appreciate the old mansions, peace and quiet. I should return now that I more appreciate these things more.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:20 AM

Hi John, thanks for your visit & the ratings! My page needs a serious update!! I have loved Cape May since I first visited there -- I love the architecture and the whole feel of the place. Seriously, it's one of my favorite places in the world! Although completely different, over the last few years I have developed an affection for Wildwood too for different reasons. I hope you do return to Cape May (and Wildwood) soon to get a new appreciation for it and also revive some great memories of those summer vacations!

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Dee, thanks so much for visiting & rating this page. It's unfortunate that so many of my photos have deteriorated. It's so much prettier in person! Most of the large Victorian mansions are now Bed & Breakfasts.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Sylivia, I've had a wonderful virtual tour around Cape May. I especially like all the old mansions.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I have a lot more to see of New Jersey one day, and this looks appealing. Your tips and pictures are very good

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Dear Sylvia, I like your tips and photos of Cape May. L.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Thanks (no pun intended) for reminding me! I need to ring family in America on Thursday. I forgot !

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Sylvia, gorgeous page with interesting tips and great photos of Cape May. A sidetrip to Lewes, Delaware by ferry would be my sort of thing.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Thank you Sylvia for showing us this place with the beautiful seaside location and a lovely beach, fabulously preserved Victorian architecture. Quite agree with Dee - this is really 5-stars page!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

My favorite of all your pages. They show your passion for beauty & architecture. Your descriptions of the hotels are fabulous. A real treat for all of us to be able to share your 5-star work.

starship Visits Here Frequently!

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Cape May

Have you been to Cape May?