New Orleans Hotel Tips by starship
New Orleans Hotels: 57,987 reviews and 390 photos
About a half hour before leaving the great city of New Orleans we learned that our flight had been overbooked. When the airlines offered us 2 roundtrip tickets per person, a hotel for the night and vouchers for dinner and breakfast for each of us if we agreed to be "bumped" from our scheduled flight, we jumped at the chance!! (Who can turn down free travel!?!?) The hotel the airline put us up in for the night was the Best Western Landmark Hotel, a high-rise, cylinder shaped hotel in Metarie. It was a run-down, characterless hotel, but we had a large room, ensuite of course, and there was a bar and dining room on the top floor (about 10 stories high) with quite a view of the surrounding area. The best feature of this hotel was that it was only 3 blocks from a very nice mall which gave us something to do the next morning before our flight.
Unique Qualities: Had the room not been free courtesy of the airline "bump" we took, we certainly would not have chosen this hotel. However, it is not without guests--a few other groups were having a reunion or meeting here.
Good points -- the room was large, there was a dining room and bar on the top floor, and there was a free shuttle to and from the airport, it was close to a nice mall, and there was a gift shop in the lobby.
Address: 201 Severn Avenue, Metarie, Louisiana
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: About half way between downtown New Orleans and the Louis Armstrong Airport, and about 3 blocks from a very nice mall.
Other Contact: toll free: 800-528-1234
Part of the large bedroom
You might say that the Windsor Court Hotel is a little out of character for New Orleans. But not really if you recall that the British were defeated at the Battle of New Orleans! Well, the British did acquit themselves well in the form of the Windsor Court Hotel. Tucked into a little corner of Gravier Street it seemed like an oasis of calmness. As a reminder of the hotel's namesake, a small model of the real Windsor Castle is encased just off the lobby. After arriving in the front courtyard of the hotel, nicely dressed doormen will welcome you into the hotel's richly decorated lobby.
The hotel turned out to be a good choice for our family because of its gracious accommodations and the nearness not only to the French Quarter but also the Riverwalk Mall and the cruiseship terminals.
Unique Qualities: Because of our membership in a vacation club, we only had to pay a relatively small booking fee, and we were able to choose a suite. If we had to pay directly for the rooms, the cost would have been unaffordable most likely ($180 per night or more) but for a splurge it would have been worth it!! The rooms were simply the largest I've ever seen! It was more like an apartment than a hotel suite, having its own foyer, tiny kitchen, large livingroom, and an extra large bedroom with 2 queen beds, dressing room, sink room and extra large bathroom. A plate of cookies was delivered the first night and turn down service was offered. The hotel also offered a roof-top pool, several restaurants, valet parking and concierge. Front desk staff was very helpful, friendly and were anxious to make everything satisfactory!
The only negative about the hotel was the service at the dining room serving breakfast and the fact that we only received cookies one night!
Address: 300 Gravier Street, New Orleans
Comparison: most expensive
Directions: Across from Harrah's casino, and about 3 blocks from the Mississippi waterfront. About 5-6 blocks from the French Quarter
Other Contact: Fax: 504-596-4513
Price: US$180 and up
More Reviews (26)
- See All "On Bourbon Street"
- See All Cities of the Dead ~ Notable Cemeteries...
- See All Pralines ~ A New Orleans Tradition
starship's Related Pages
New Orleans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
- "new orleans louisiana"
- "The Naughty Madame"
- "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- "Crescent City Comes Calling"
- "THE BIG EASY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Orleans
- Hotels in New Orleans
- Transportation in New Orleans
- Nightlife in New Orleans
- Restaurants in New Orleans
- Shopping in New Orleans
- Warnings and Dangers in New Orleans
- See All...
Explore the World
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport
- Quail Park Lodge
- Sokos Vaakuna
- Hotel Los Robles
- Sokos Hotel Pasila
- Econo Lodge North
- Hyde Park Suites Serviced Apartments
- Mercure Roma Corso Trieste
- Sun Bay Suites
- Hotel Filip
- The Tahquitz Inn at Idyllwild
- Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Hotel Villa Edera
- New Tower Club Hotel
Badges & Stats in New Orleans
- 28 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Orleans
- Posted in Travel Bellagio Forum "Re: time"
- Commented on one of DennyP's New Orleans travel pages
- updated a New Orleans Travel Page "NEW ORLEANS, Crescent City on the Mississippi"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Landry's ~ Nice Atmosphere, Good Food"
- Wrote a Review "On Bourbon Street" in New Orleans Restaurants
Read real reviews about New Orleans Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
Latest New Orleans hotel reviews
- Maison Perrier
- 221 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Courtyard New Orleans Downtown
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Longpre Guest House New Orleans
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- 1896 O'malley House
- 588 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Park Plaza New Orleans
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2012
- Ashton's Bed and Breakfast
- 451 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Alexa Hotel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 4, 2005
- Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans
- 233 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- New Orleans Guest House
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- 1891 Castle Inn Of New Orleans
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Clarion Collection Garden District Hotel New Orleans
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 5, 2013
- Girod House
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Capri Motel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 19, 2012
- Bed and Beverage Guest Apartments
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Bourbon Street- 50 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Swamp Tours- 34 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Garden District- 34 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Jackson Square- 50 Reviews, 99 Photos
- French Quarter- 53 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Mule drawn carriage- 15 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Cemeteries- 44 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Cruise the Mississippi- 30 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Plantations- 22 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Riverwalk- 25 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All New Orleans Things to Do