""When You Wish Upon a Star....."" Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando by starship

Orlando Travel Guide: 3,111 reviews and 5,932 photos

"Makes No Difference Who You Are......"

Disney World ~ 2006
"Year of a Million Dreams"

I understand from another VT member that Disney World is not technically located in Orlando, but actually a nearby town. However, It seems to me that most people connect Disney World to Orlando, and that's why I have placed this information on the Orlando page.

In October, 2006, we had a great visit to Disney World. During October you will find the wildly popular "FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL" being held in the Epcot Park. On certain nights in October you will find the also very popular "NOT SO SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY"
in the Magic Kingdom Park. Adults like to dress up in costume just as much as the children!

We had free airfare resulting from taking a flight bump last year, and we used our Disney Vacation Club points to stay one night at the new Saratoga Springs Resort and then more nights at our favorite, the Wilderness Lodge Villas.

During this visit we decided to take advantage of Disney's meal plan offer which at this time covers a snack, a quick-service meal and a sit-down meal for $38 pp/per day for adults and includes taxes & gratuities!! The cost is less for children ages 3-9. We found that we more than got our money's worth from this plan, and had some really fine meals. Because of this plan, we were able to try restaurants that previously we found too expensive. Although in previous visits we enjoyed our favorite places to eat in the parks, this plan made a difference in that we had better meals at the upscale restaurants for a fraction above what we previously spent when trying to maximize our food budget.

You will find many new tips on the Food & Wine Festival, the Not So Scary Halloween Party and new restaurants as well as some great new pics when all is completed!

Disney World ~ Make a Wish

Orlando has alot to offer tourists, but I think it is safe to say that the main reason people visit Orlando is for the variety of amusement parks: Disney World, Universal Orlando, Sea World, and several other big draw entertainment places. Busch Gardens ~ Tampa is only about 2 hours away too. These amusement parks draw visitors from all over the world. In any of the parks you hear many foreign languages. THIS page however, will cover only Walt Disney World as it is what I know best having been there more than a half dozen times.

How Did It All Begin

A book I recently read alluded to the fact that the dream for Disneyland and Disney World may have had its earliest beginnings in the World Columbian Exposition of 1893. Walt Disney's father, Elias Disney, was a carpenter and furniture-maker who worked on the "Chicago's World's Fair or Columbian Exposition of 1893" and the sheer wonder and magnificence must certainly have made quite an impression on little Walt. In fact, I believe many parallels can be drawn between Disney World as it is now and the World's Fair as Walt saw it.

Disney World is for all those who will let themselves feel like they would have as a 7 year old who had never been any place so amazing and magnificent before! It is also for those who can appreciate unlimited imagination and technological marvels manifested in a world of fantasy!

Spend some time closely observing what's around you-- there is genius in EVERY DETAIL of the 40 + square miles comprising Disney World. If you are fortunate enough to have accommodations inside of the park's boundaries, you will be further astonished!

Disney Magic Creates Memories

Disney creates the magic for you and your family, but you create the memories by capturing them in photos. Take lots of photos of your children and your whole family each and every time you visit Disney World. You will be glad because those years when your children are young will fly by as if they had wings. Capture the delight in your children's eyes soon and often!

• Pros:For the young and old!
  • Cons:Can be very expensive
  • In a nutshell:For the child inside of us all (~ _~) !!
  • Last visit to Orlando: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2014

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Excellent page Sylvia! What a fun place!

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:31 PM

It really is a fun place --- even for us adults! I know this page is in serious need of updates but my memories of the last trip there will have to do for now! Hope you're doing well and thanks so much for your visit and ratings!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Although we stayed a couple of nights in Orlando when in Florida some years ago we decided to forgo the Magic Kingdom and visit the Disney MGM studios instead. I still think that was the right decision for us (especially as we don't have kids) but you do make this look and sound like fun!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Sarah, I'm sure MGM studios was a good choice --- I love the Tower of Terror there! Epcot is my favorite but I guess the child in me still finds a lot to like in the Magic Kingdom too. Haven't been to Disney World in several years now so it would be great go again and update some of my tips.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Hey Sylvia! Our visit to Bergamo was specifically for research for EurMeet - we'd already chosen Bergamo the previous November. Gillybob greetings

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Thanks for sharing your tips. Not sure if I'll get to see many of the parks though.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

We are hoping to pay a return visit to Orlando next year and visit all the various parks.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Sylvia, gorgeous Orlando page with excellent photos. It is interesting to see that there are more than twice as much restaurants than things to do in town. *winkygrin*

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 4:30 AM

Superb Orlando page! We are very fond of Disneyland attractions. Your Walt Disney World attracts us particularly especially Expedition Everest. We hope to visit Orlando one day. ~ho & pang

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Hi Sylvia & thanks for visiting my pages. Also, check my VT meet for Orlando this October--hope you can make it. :-) Ann, The TravelSlut

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Thanks for visiting my Orlando page! There certainly is so much to do in this city, but like a little child, my favorite place is Disney World! Sylvia

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM

In Orlando I saw many interesting things from Church Street Station to Medieval Times, just Disney World did not. But today it has been done too: I have really enjoyed! L.

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Orlando

Have you been to Orlando?

Latest Activity in Orlando