Bethany Beach Transportation Tips by starship Top 5 Page for this destination
Bethany Beach Transportation: 6 reviews and 5 photos
Photo courtesy of Town of Bethany Beach website
As noted in my "General" tip, parking in beachfront towns is often difficult. However, the town of Bethany Beach has done a so much better job than most in providing parking for daytrippers and summer rental visitors.
Even better than that, Bethany Beach provides residents and visitors alike, the Bethany Beach Blue Trolleys and what a bargain they are!! These distinctively-painted sky blue & yellow, antique-looking trolleys run designated routes not only in the commercial shopping district and beach roads, but through the myriad of homes occupied by year-round residents and summer rental properties alike. This system is extremely beneficial in lowering traffic congestion and lowering demands for parking space in the busy summer season and is extremely cheap. The trolley fare is amazingly only .25 cents each way!!! (NOTE: As of March, 2012, the 25 cents fare remains the same!!)
The Blue Trolleys operate as if they were the town's public bus system but RUN ONLY from the Friday before Memorial Day through mid September, continuously between 9:30 am to 10:00 pm. "(Note: Last pick up on Atlantic and Garfield is at 9:45 pm) The trolley leaves location #1 on the half hour starting at 9:30 am. There is no service daily 12:30 pm to 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm to 7:30 pm (approximate time)."
Another innovative feature is that, you don't have to be standing at a designated trolley stop to be picked up. You can flag down the trolley anywhere along the route for pick-up or discharge, except on Route 26 and Route 1 although there is no pick-up or drop-off on Jefferson Bridge. However, there are 15 designated stops along the route which covers quite a bit of ground and 5 of these stops put you within a half-block from the beach.
The Trolley Driver does not make change and so be prepared when you board the trolley. At least one kiosk, built & painted to look like a Blue Trolley, is available for making change for trolleys or parking meters and is located on Atlantic Avenue and Garfield Parkway (this seems to be a hub area). Trolley maps, brochures, and other information are also available at this site and from self-serve displays. At this point you are only steps from the beach!
Phone: (302) 539-8011
More Reviews (11)
- Farewell to Summer ~ New Orleans Style
- Rip Tides Can Ruin Your Day
- See All A Good Read at the Beach
starship's Related Pages
Bethany Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Bethany Beach!"
- "One Last Day of Summer at the Delaware Beaches"
- "Marc's Bethany Beach page"
- "Every Summer Vacation"
- "Bethany Beach Delware"
- "Summer Vacation"
- "Rehoboth...home of Dogfish Head Beer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bethany Beach
- Hotels in Bethany Beach
- Transportation in Bethany Beach
- Nightlife in Bethany Beach
- Restaurants in Bethany Beach
- Shopping in Bethany Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Bethany Beach
- See All...
Explore the World
- Beanblossom Hotels
- Boca Chica Key
- Massachusetts Hotels
- Flushing Hotels
- Puerto Galera
- Prince Edward Island Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bethany Beach
- 12 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Bethany Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bethany Beach
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where is DAO?"
- Commented on one of starship's Bethany Beach travel pages
- updated a Bethany Beach Travel Page "One Last Day of Summer at the Delaware Beaches"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bethany Beach Blue Trolley ~ What a Deal!"
- Wrote a Review Farewell to Summer ~ New Orleans Style in Bethany Beach Local Customs
Photos in Bethany BeachSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 27 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos