"One Last Day of Summer at the Delaware Beaches" Top 5 Page for this destination Bethany Beach by starship
Bethany Beach Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 90 photos
Labor Day Weekend always marks the unofficial end of Summer and the window of opportunity for vacations for those families with school-age children closes by this date or even earlier. With no major vacations planned for virtually all of 2009, I was more than ready to embark on a day trip even though it was already September.
Heading south over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the good roads of Delaware moved us quite nicely into the far southeast corner of the state where we wanted to visit the seaside town of Bethany Beach, Delaware. We had planned to also visit Rehobeth Beach, and finish by taking the Cape May Ferry from Lewes. We found that seeing these two additional beach towns and taking the ferry could only be accomplished fairly by spending at least a night in each place, and planning on arriving at the ferry well in advance of its departures. Unfortunately we didn't have the time or budget for hotel nights.
In the end, we had enough time to see a decent amount of "Bethany Beach", have a quick drive through of Rehoboth Beach, and head home though not by the ferry. We covered approximately 350 miles--- quite a stretch for a day trip. Still it was a gloriously beautiful day and a great way to end our Summer!
The tiny town of Bethany Beach began its history as a peaceful summer retreat founded by members of the Christian Church (also known as the Disciples of Christ) of the Washington DC area and Pennsylvania.
Bethany Beach was not envisioned to be a permanent town, rather it was deemed to be "a suitable tract of land for a permanent yearly seaside assembly for the Christian churches of the country."
How Bethany Beach got its name was somewhat unusual, if not unique! The founders launched a nationwide contest which was won by a Mr. H.L. Atkinson who conceived the name "Bethany," which was most probably chosen for its biblical connotation. As the contest winner, Mr. Atkinson was awarded a lot on the beach as his prize. And what a prize!!
With its unhurried pace, and hometown atmosphere, I agree that Bethany Beach seems to still reflect the aspirations of the early settlers who were looking for "a haven of rest for quiet people."
- Pros:Lovely beach, charming town, great place to spend a Summer!
- Cons:Small Town, Big Crowds -- not a secret anymore!
- In a nutshell:Small town, homey feeling with a great beach!
Every year for nearly 25 years now, residents and visitors of Bethany Beach have "mourned" the passing of Summer in a... more travel advice
The day we visited Bethany Beach, there was a strong wind blowing and you could see there was a lot of wave action,... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Bethany Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Bethany Beach!"
- "One Last Day of Summer at the Delaware Beaches"
- "Marc's Bethany Beach page"
- "Every Summer Vacation"
- "Bethany Beach Delware"
- "Summer Vacation"
- "Rehoboth...home of Dogfish Head Beer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bethany Beach
- Hotels in Bethany Beach
- Transportation in Bethany Beach
- Nightlife in Bethany Beach
- Restaurants in Bethany Beach
- Shopping in Bethany Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Bethany Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bethany Beach
- 12 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Bethany Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bethany Beach
- Posted in Travel Costa Rica Forum "Re: Summer camp to help teen son..."
- Commented on one of starship's Bethany Beach travel pages
- updated a Bethany Beach Travel Page "One Last Day of Summer at the Delaware Beaches"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bethany Beach Blue Trolley ~ What a Deal!"
- Wrote a Review Farewell to Summer ~ New Orleans Style in Bethany Beach Local Customs
Photos in Bethany BeachSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 31 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 17 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos