"Scottsdale, Arizona" Top 5 Page for this destination Scottsdale by starship
Scottsdale Travel Guide: 265 reviews and 633 photos
On our way to Tucson and the Tanque Verde Ranch, we stopped in "Old Downtown Scottsdale" for a little lunch, to enjoy a little flavor of the Old West and to have a look at the artwork and many shops that are pervasive in this part of town. Having been here 10 prior, I was anxious to see if the town was just as nice as I had remembered it before and I was certainly not disappointed with this visit. Scottsdale is what I would call an upscale town. It seems to have it all: good housing, an array of amenities, green spaces, close by mountains, beautiful natural geography, western history and a good standard of living.
It seems that many people, especially from states with very cold winters, come to the Scottsdale area of Arizona to retire. Others just spend the winter here. Summers in southern Arizona can be extremely hot with low humidity. The first time we visited Arizona was in July and the thermometer reached 114F degrees!! Because of the desert, night-time temperatures can be very cool. Perhaps because of the heat in summer, the lifestyle seems a little more unhurried than in many places and activities begin earlier in the day. The people of Arizona seem genuine, friendly, likeable, and ready to have a conversation with you.
Scottsdale is within a day's drive of Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Slippery Rock State Park, the Grand Canyon, the Superstition Mountains and the Apache Trail, Tucson, Tombstone and so much more. In town there is a PGA championship golf course, museums, shopping & restaurants, history, entertainment, luxurious resorts, and plenty of outdoor sports!!
For all these reasons, I find Scottsdale very liveable!
Old Downtown Scottsdale is what some would call the 'heart of town' and a place which is so charming with a hint of the Old West about it. There are many lovely shops and unique restaurants, and there is as much public art & sculpture here as any place I've ever visited. It seems to be everywhere! The natural beauty of the desert must be inspiring to anyone with artistic inclinations! I particularly like the way the town has gardens, container gardens, cacti and flowers planted all around. It really adds a particularly beautiful touch to this town.
The Old Downtown area can be enjoyed in a day, is very walkable and has good parking which is even free in some spots. You can also enjoy touring the area with a horse and carriage for a somewhat romantc view! We enjoy returning to Old Downtown Scottsdale whenever we are in Arizona!
- Pros:Charming old downtown, art everywhere, nice place to live!
- Cons:Didn't Find Any Really but Stay Out of the Mid-Day Heat!
During our first visit to Scottsdale quite a few years ago, we learned about the Apache Trail. Beginning just on the... more travel advice
The Mexican Imports store is a jumble of items ranging from t-shirts, mass-produced souvenirs, postcards, Mexican clay... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Scottsdale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "High End in the MIddle of the metro region"
- "Jumping Around Scottsdale!"
- "Scottsdale, Arizona"
- "Scottsdale Has Grown Beyond Belief"
- "susie margaret and scottsdale, arizona, USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scottsdale
- Hotels in Scottsdale
- Transportation in Scottsdale
- Nightlife in Scottsdale
- Restaurants in Scottsdale
- Shopping in Scottsdale
- Warnings and Dangers in Scottsdale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scottsdale
- 8 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Scottsdale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scottsdale
- Posted in Travel Ireland Forum "Re: Somewhat handicapped"
- Commented on one of starship's Scottsdale travel pages
- updated a Scottsdale Travel Page "Scottsdale, Arizona"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Apache Trail ~ A Rugged Experience"
- Wrote a Review The Apache Trail ~ A Rugged Experience in Scottsdale Off The Beaten Path
Photos in ScottsdaleSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 30 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belfast Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues