"Ketchikan, Alaska" Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan by starship
Ketchikan Travel Guide: 222 reviews and 537 photos
Our first visit to Ketchikan was on July 4, 2002. Weather-wize, it was not a beautiful day. But the town was buzzing with activity because they were holding a real, live, honest-to-goodness 4th of July Parade! It was a real home-town type of Parade with the local high school football team, batton-twirlers, kids throwing candy to the crowds and it was great and very Americana!! Also in the parade were both older and young members of the native-American Indian tribes dressed in tribal costumes of varied colors and decorated with mother-of-pearl buttons. At least two cruise lines even had floats in the parade. The whole event really made for a very unique and colorful memory in my mind.
In June, 2004, the skies were again overcast and there was no parade this time, but Ketchikan has a palpable atmosphere. I think the arrival of cruise ships each day makes everyone roll out the welcome mat and look forward to a new day---not to mention new profits but storekeepers are very friendly. When you arrive in Ketchikan, you are full of expectation. Maybe it's similar to what people in the "Gold Rush" era felt--that anything is possible.
In July, 2006, it was sunny and very warm. We missed 4th of July here by only a day and I was sorry to miss the parade. Seeing Ketchikan under sunny skies gave it a very different atmosphere and I enjoyed the change.
I love this photo! Waiting on the pier, this trolley tour drive obviously has a loyal friend in his husky dog. The trolley is being pulled by a matched pair of draft horses. What a great way to see Ketchikan! This is my favorite sight in Ketchikan. When I see them, it's like coming home again!
Creek Street is considered one of, if not the most historic sight in Ketchikan. It certainly has a "colorful" past and a unique setting on Ketchikan Creek. Built on a series of pilings and boardwalks, it was home to establishments housing "ladies of the night." "Dolly's is the most famous and is open for tours every day. Actually this area is quite sedate, quaint and elegant compared to some of its counterparts I have seen around the world (i.e, has anyone seen the quite graphic etching on the wall of the Coloseum in Rome?)
Today the colorful buildings of Creek Street are home to gift shops selling an array of clothing, jewelry, gifts, and smoked salmon products, etc. If you miss Creek Street, you haven't been to Ketchikan.
- Pros:Totem poles, Creek Street, Sea Planes, the gorgeous scenery!!
- Cons:You're lucky if you see the sun!
- In a nutshell:The Pioneering Spirit and Surprising Vibrancy!
UPDATE: Although I certainly do not remember the Fish House as having any kind of dining room, the "restaurant's website... more travel advice
The Gilmore Hotel is a remodeled but historic hotel which was built in 1927 of an unusual building material. The hotel... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Ketchikan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "Ketchikan, Alaska"
- "Alaska's Gateway"
- "Not a Flying Visit"
- "Ketchikan - Show me the bears!"
- "Duck Duck Goose"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ketchikan
- Hotels in Ketchikan
- Transportation in Ketchikan
- Nightlife in Ketchikan
- Restaurants in Ketchikan
- Shopping in Ketchikan
- Warnings and Dangers in Ketchikan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ketchikan
- 11 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Ketchikan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ketchikan
Photos in KetchikanSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 27 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (74)
Latest Ketchikan hotel reviews
- Inn at Creek Street and New York Hotel
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Gilmore Hotel
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Salmon Falls Resort
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 27, 2013
- Best Western Landing Hotel
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Cape Fox Lodge
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Super 8 Motel - Ketchikan
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013