"GRAND CAYMAN ISLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Cayman Islands by starship
Cayman Islands Travel Guide: 900 reviews and 1,822 photos
Grand Cayman is a low-key island and great place to enjoy its splendid beaches, diving and sealife. It is a relatively small island, but offers the right combination of activity, relaxation, and marvelous weather. Most notably, Grand Cayman is home to the world famous "Stingray Island," and "Trinity Caves." We visited Grand Cayman in 2001, and we were back for a day in August, 2003. Some of the other sights we'd like to see but didn't have time for were the strange landscape of "Hell," Seven Mile Beach, the Turtle Farm or visit the Hyatt site where part of the movie "The Firm" starring Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman was filmed!!
Because Grand Cayman has its own aura and seems to be somehow different from other Caribbean Islands, it should be on your list of islands to visit if you are in the Caribbean but not necessarily on a budget. Bring a sufficient amount of money. When we last visited, the Cayman Dollar was much "stronger" than the U.S. Dollar which stands to reason since it is one of the wealthier islands in the Caribbean and home to alot of "off shore banking."
A couple of years ago, Grand Cayman was devastated by one of the season's most ravishing hurricanes. Hopefully, the people and the natural beauty of the island have since recovered.
Located 150 miles south of Cuba and 180 miles west of Jamica, Grand Cayman is one of 3 islands in the Cayman Island group, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman being the other two. Like most islands in the Caribbean, the Cayman Islands were "discovered" by Christopher Columbus in 1503 on his fourth and last voyage to the "New World." This year the Cayman Islands are celebrating the 500 year anniversary of that event. Columbus originally named the island "Las Tortugas" (The Turtles), upon seeing these islands so covered by turtles that they "looked like rocks." The present day name of Caymans was probably derived from the Carib word, "Caymanas," believed to indicate that the islands were home to crocodiles. The famous Sir Francis Drake was said to have noted that "large lizards" inhabited the islands.
During its history, the Spanish and British flags have both flown over the Cayman Islands, and it is widely known that pirates and privateers established hideouts here. Now the islands remember this part of their history by celebrating "Pirate's Week!"
- Pros:Beautiful Crystal Blue Water, Great snorkeling, diving and Stingrays!
- Cons:Not particularly friendly locals, expensive! Watch your valuables!
- In a nutshell:Worth the visit if you love the beach and ocean!
Due to the success of off-shore banking and tax advantages, not to mention tourism, the Cayman Islands have a vigorous... more travel advice
Hard Rock Cafe used to be found in only major cities around the world. It was unique if you had a Hard Rock Cafe... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Cayman Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "diver-x's Grand Cayman Page"
- "GRAND CAYMAN ISLAND"
- "Grand Cayman Island, Georgetown"
- "MacKiwi's Cayman Islands Page"
- "I Love Cayman Islands"
- "Cayman Islands"
- "Cayman Islands Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cayman Islands
- Hotels in Cayman Islands
- Transportation in Cayman Islands
- Nightlife in Cayman Islands
- Restaurants in Cayman Islands
- Shopping in Cayman Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Cayman Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cayman Islands
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Cayman Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cayman Islands
Photos in Cayman IslandsSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 33 reviews, 141 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 27 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos