"ICELAND: Land of Sagas" Iceland by starship
Iceland Travel Guide: 5,390 reviews and 15,689 photos
Over twenty years ago (1983), I was on my way to Europe for the very first time with my husband. The best deal going was on Iceland Air, and we got a free stopover in Iceland as part of the bargain. It was a long night on a stretch DC-9 and we felt like crumpled laundry when we arrived in Keflavik (the main airport) in the wee, dark hours of the morning.
Riding a bus into Reykjavik seemed like a very long and dark journey, and it was a long time before we saw the first glimmers of daylight. The Icelandic landscape would still be a mystery to us for several hours. Still we were sure that we had made a wise decision by deciding to take advantage of the free stopover! I don't know why but it felt like we were supposed to be there.
I'm sure things must have changed alot in 20 + years and other people who've been there more recently can give a more timely view of the country. But when we went in 1983, I'd never met anyone else who'd been to Iceland before and we felt privileged to be able to visit this unique country! So I hope that you can enjoy this page on its historical merits!
While it was a little overcast, what we saw of Reykjavik and Iceland was certainly not what it's name might imply! Even though it was very early spring, there was still a certain vibrancy about the place. I was really impressed with the colorful buildings and the sturdy-looking architecture around town. It was quite a different sight for me since this was my first time traveling out of North America. Those jewel-tone color painted buildings would most certainly lift my spirits during the short time daylight hours during the Winter months. The almost 24-hour darkness during winter would be something I don't think I could never get use to.
Taking a dip in those natural thermal springs near town would definitely be something I'd like to try. It was amazing to see people enjoying swimming in the naturally heated water while the outside air temperature was very chilly! This was something I'd only heard about before coming to Iceland. Although the thermal springs must be great, the friendliness and warm welcome given to visitors was what most certainly warmed my heart!!
Iceland has many amazing natural features which I wish we could have had time to explore and I hope to return there some day, hopefully during the summer months!
- Pros:Friendly people, an interesting culture and landscape.
- Cons:Nearly 24 hrs. of darkness in Winter!
- In a nutshell:Great place to visit.
The "Rammagerdin" Gift Shop at the Loftleidir Hotel had a fine selection of woolens and other items from Iceland. The... more travel advice
When we were taking our first trip to Europe in 1983, we bought a package from Icelandair which included this stopover... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
Top Iceland hotels
- Reykjavík Hotels
- 868 Reviews - 2891 Photos
- Höfn Hotels
- 57 Reviews - 145 Photos
- Selfoss Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Garðabær Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Þingvellir Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 314 Photos
- Hvammstangi Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Borgarnes Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 101 Photos
- Stafafell Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Vík í Mýrdal Hotels
- 76 Reviews - 186 Photos
- Mÿvatn Hotels
- 69 Reviews - 357 Photos
- Keflavík Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Vík Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Vestmannaeyjar Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Stykkishólmur Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 78 Photos
- Skógur Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 58 Photos