"Rostock, Germany" Top 5 Page for this destination Rostock by starship
Rostock Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 470 photos
With some unplanned time on our hands, we thought we'd try to see some of Rostock. We discovered it was easy and inexpensive to travel the short distance of 10 miles or so from Warnemuende to Rostock by local train. By the time we had paid our 3 Euros each for the roundtrip train fare to Rostock the sun was making a partial appearance of which we were thankful and made the outlook for a decent side trip a little brighter. Even though it was a Sunday we were hoping at least a few sights would be open to the public---unfortunately, things were very quiet and there were only a few people milling around the town square.
There was more excitement on the train! A strange little man with straggly hair and beard, dressed in a heavy winter coat (this was summer), wearing only socks on his feet, started to harangue at first to no one and then zeroed in on some older German women. Not speaking any German, I didn't know what the fuss was about. The women tried to ignore him, but the man would have none of it. Thankfully for all of us, he departed the train before Rostock.
The train station at Rostock was swarming with what I perceived as soccer fans whose team had apparently just won a victory! Men sporting their team's colors were exuberant , waving banners, beating drums, singing. Obviously they were very happy! A nice introduction to Rostock I thought!
Rostock was a part of the former East German Republic and at the time was its busiest port. Hundreds of years ago, Rostock became one of the first and most powerful members of the Hanseatic League and could boast of being home to 12,000 residents already by the end of the 14th century. It could also boast of establishing the first university in the Baltic region. Unfortunately, domestic disputes and wars in the Baltic followed by a devastating fire led to the eventual decline of Rostock as a power in the region at that time.
In the mid-19th century, Rostock's economy rebounded with the steamship industry and subsequently it became once again a bustling port shipping grain from the Mecklenburg region to all over. Today the Rostock - Warnemuende region prospers from shipbuilding (Warnemuende Werft) and technology parks.
If you've visited my "Warnemuende, Germany" page you will already have read how Rostock purchased the tiny fishing village of Warnemuende in the early 1600's to ensure another access to the sea. Warnemuende is moreorless considered the summer resort area of Rostock, and you will see the two names related in many aspects such as the postage designation, business location designations, both images in pictures or postcards (i.e., the lighthouse in Warnemuende may appear on a Rostock postcard), etc. Although Warnemuende is 10 miles away, the two towns seem to operate as one.
We didn't get to visit the Rostock Brewery but I wish we had because I thought Rostock Beer was pretty darn good!... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Rostock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rostock - Resurrection of Hanseatic Glory"
- "The Pearl of the North - Hansestadt Rostock"
- "Rostock revisited"
- "Rostock, Germany"
- "sight seeing and shoe shopping....."
- "Rostock: Lovely Old Town"
- "Two nights in Rostock"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rostock
- Hotels in Rostock
- Transportation in Rostock
- Nightlife in Rostock
- Restaurants in Rostock
- Shopping in Rostock
- Warnings and Dangers in Rostock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rostock
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Rostock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rostock
- Posted in Travel Philadelphia Forum "Re: Best areas for tourists to..."
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Rostock travel pages
- updated a Rostock Travel Page "Rostock, Germany"
- Wrote a Review Rostock Brewery for Beer Lovers in Rostock Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rostock Brewery for Beer Lovers"
Photos in RostockSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 31 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 17 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos