"The Hawaiian Islands" Hawaii (State of) by starship
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide: 10,309 reviews and 26,246 photos
Growing up in a medium-sized, Virginia town in a lower-middle class family in the 1950's, I never dreamed that one day I would be able to travel to distant parts of the globe. In my hometown, few people could afford to travel and "traveling" almost always involved visiting relatives. If you traveled as far as North Carolina, that was a big deal!! Fact is, I actually got sick when I thought about going farther from home (especially without my parents) than the next town, I got physically sick! At this point in my life, it is funny to think back about this and to now realize that traveling really has become an such an important aspect of my life!
In 1998, my husband and I decided we'd like to travel to Hawaii in 2000 for our 25th anniversary so the planning began a good two years in advance. Not every thing turned out the way we planned it and we made several mistakes, but we saw a fair portion of what we intended to.
Hawaii is about a 6-hour flight from San Francisco plus the 4 to 5 hours from the East coast so, though everyone says don't try to see more than 2 islands in a visit, we went for 3 (Oahu, The Big Island, and Maui!) We felt that if we were going to spend that much to fly the four of us there, we might as well see as much as possible. We spent 3 days on Oahu, 4 days on Maui, and the most amount of time on the Big Island of Hawaii which was 5 days! I'm not sure if Hawaii is the paradise it was in the first 40's, 50's and 60's, but certain aspects of the islands are still quite spectacular!
A lot of people picture Waikiki Beach when they think of Hawaii, and you can't deny that maybe that is where everyone's dreams of Hawaii begin.
- Pros:Fabulous beach, Diamond Head!!
- Cons:Expensive hotels and food.
- In a nutshell:You have to see it at least once in your life! !
When we arrived at the airport in Oahu, I couldn't believe how many limos waiting at the curb just outside of the... more travel advice
Right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village was an attractive shopping area. Nice place to pick up Alohawear, souvenirs,... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hang Loose in Hawaii"
- "Hawaiian Islands ~ GO Virtual"
- "A Month In Paradise"
- "Hawaii this beautiful place we fell in love with."
- "diver-x's Hawaii Page"
- "Scenic Hawaii"
- "BlueCollar's Hawai‘i"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hawaii (State of)
- Hotels in Hawaii (State of)
- Transportation in Hawaii (State of)
- Nightlife in Hawaii (State of)
- Restaurants in Hawaii (State of)
- Shopping in Hawaii (State of)
- Warnings and Dangers in Hawaii (State of)
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)
- 33 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawaii (State of)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Philadelphia (Non-Travel)..."
- Commented on one of Slapshot1's Hawaii (State of) travel pages
- updated a Hawaii (State of) Travel Page "The Hawaiian Islands"
- Wrote a Review Lighten Your Luggage Load in Hawaii (State of) What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "For Movie Theme-Lovers"
Photos in Hawaii (State of)See All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
Top Hawaii (State of) hotels
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1987 Reviews - 4711 Photos
- Lihue Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Lahaina Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 616 Photos
- Kailua-Kona Hotels
- 347 Reviews - 773 Photos
- Kihei Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 134 Photos
- Kapaa Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Hilo Hotels
- 235 Reviews - 453 Photos
- Hawaii Kai Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 25 Photos
- Koloa Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Hanauma Bay Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Kaanapali Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Poipu Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 154 Photos
- Wailea Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Kahuku Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 33 Photos
- Waikiki Hotels
- 324 Reviews - 811 Photos