"Palma de Mallorca ~ A Mediterranean Beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca by starship
Palma de Mallorca Travel Guide: 735 reviews and 1,882 photos
What a beautifully brilliant Sunday it was when we arrived in Palma de Mallorca, "The Pearl of the Balearic Islands." Arriving by cruise ship, we had a sweeping, panoramic view of the marina, Palma's spired Cathedral "Le Seu" and the round tower of Castell de Bellver perched on a hill high above the Bahia de Palma. The skies were cloudless and the temperature soared under a firery sun.
It took about 15 minutes and about 3 Euros each roundtrip for a bus to take us from our ship along the Passeig de Sagrera and along the waterfront to a point across from Le Seu Cathedral. We walked across the Autopista de Levante near the Parc del la Mar and then up the hill to get to Le Seu and the old center of the Palma. From this vantage point, no matter in which direction you looked, the scenery was fantastic --- Le Seu and Almudaina Palace rising before you, the colorful, boat-filled marina and the blue Bay of Palma just behind and over your shoulder. The magnificent Moorish architecture and the palm trees standing like centurions along the Passeig de Sagrera of Palma de Mallorca made an impression I won't soon forget.
We had only been walking a few minutes before the the heat and humidity became really oppressive. We looked for relief in shaded passage ways, in a sidewalk cafe, and in the cathedral itself.
We stopped at the "Almoina" Cafe directly next to a side door of Le Seu Cathedral to grab a little shade and a cool drink before going any farther. It was not cool enough inside to really feel better but it did give us a chance to soak in a little of Mallorca. The Cafe's interior seemed very exotic-looking to me and had an interesting Moorish decor with the exception of the display of a suit of armor! We could have chosen to sit outside at the cafe's sidewalk tables which were not full, but chose to sit inside because of the shade and ceiling fans. There was also a nice little spot with shaded tables & surrounded by wrought-iron gates and greenery, but I was glad to be where I was able to get some photos of the inside of this atmospheric cafe.
Soon after our brief interlude at Almoina we stopped at Le Seu, then we continued along the old streets to the beautiful Town Hall on the Placa de Cort with its ancient olive tree, viewed the gardens around the Almudaina Palace and the fountain & gardens memorial to Joan Alcover, and strolled along the palm-lined Passeig to see the statue of Ramon Llull, and saw Sa Llotja, but only from the outside of course.
Some people opted for horse-drawn carriage rides, and although I was happy that the horses didn't have to stand in the sun waiting for passengers any longer, I did feel sorry that they had to pull a carriage in this heat with several heavy guests.
We missed many other places that we would have liked to have seen but without a good map at hand, a cold bottle of water and the luck of arriving on a day other than Sunday, it was not to be. We never found the Tourist Info. office to get maps or other useful information while we were in Palma. I only found where it was located while doing research for this page. Oddly enough, while travelers often hope & pray for streets devoid of tourists, empty streets and passages while in Palma were almost too eerie, such as the shopping street in the accompanying photo.
I would have liked to explore the beaches and other charms the island had to offer. A little very little amount of souvenir and postcard shopping rounded out my day in Mallorca before catching the bus back to the ship. My hubbie ended his day in Mallorca by finding a genuine Irish pub!! See my tip on MacGowan's Irish Pub.
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, beautiful views!
- Cons:Summertime extreme heat and humidity! Where is that sea breeze?
Sailing into the Bahia de Palma, one of the first sights we saw was Castillo de Bellver, meaning "lovely view" in... more travel advice
Perched on a hill rising above the Bahia de Palma, the gold limestone structure of "Le Seu", Palma's Cathedral, may be... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Palma de Mallorca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome-Bienvenido-Dobro pasholavut"
- "Mallorca Island a paradise on earth"
- "An Island for Sunny Days"
- "Palma de Mallorca ~ A Mediterranean Beauty"
- "Mallorca - Hot Water, Great City, Cool Landscapes"
- "Magnificent City of Palma de Mallorca"
- "Palma de Mallorca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palma de Mallorca
- Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
- Transportation in Palma de Mallorca
- Nightlife in Palma de Mallorca
- Restaurants in Palma de Mallorca
- Shopping in Palma de Mallorca
- Warnings and Dangers in Palma de Mallorca
- See All...
Explore the World
- Okinawa Hotels
- Hilton Head Island Hotels
- Pulau Wan Man Hotels
- Male Island
- North America
- Honeymoon Island State Recreation Area Hotels
- Jupiter Island Hotels
- Rio de Janeiro Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Montecatini Terme
- Ho Chi Minh City
Badges & Stats in Palma de Mallorca
- 13 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Palma de Mallorca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palma de Mallorca
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where is DAO?"
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Palma de Mallorca travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Le Seu Cathedral ~ Crowning Glory of Palma"
- Wrote a Review Castillo de Bellver about Castillo de Bellver in Palma de Mallorca Things to Do
- updated a Palma de Mallorca Travel Page "Palma de Mallorca ~ A Mediterranean Beauty"
Photos in Palma de MallorcaSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 27 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
Latest Palma de Mallorca hotel reviews
- Delta Hotel Palma de Mallorca
- 452 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Java
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Iberostar Suites Hotel Jardin del Sol
- 500 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel d'Or Tobago
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Sol Magalluf Park
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- TRH Torrenova Palma de Mallorca
- 494 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Iberostar Playa De Muro Hotel
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- 592 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- ROC Illetas Club Playa
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Barcelo Formentor Hotel
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Hotel Rosamar
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Husa Zenith
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Don Juan Hotel
- 199 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Sol Cala Blanca
- 372 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Marina Portals
- 368 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013