"Porvoo ~ On the King's Road" Top 5 Page for this destination Porvoo by starship
Porvoo Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 543 photos
Pretty as a picture and idyllic too, Porvoo is Finland's second oldest city and is a wonderful little town for those who are fortunate enough to know about it. Porvoo is only about 50km or a half hour's drive from downtown Helsinki.
Because the majority of the population there speaks Finnish, but also a large number of people still speak Swedish, you will see two names on maps. "Porvoo" from the Finnish and "Borga" from the Swedish ~ "borg" which means castle, and "a" which means river; Borga was the name given to a 14th century fortress which unfortunately no longer exists.
Porvoo has a quaint and quiet sense about it. Picturesque for its steep cobblestone streets, old buildings, and beautiful views of the Porvoo River, it also has plenty in the way of cerebral interests in a rather compact area. The old town section is quite manageable on foot. There are many museums devoted to the history and art of the region, and the people of Porvoo and other parts of Finland are rather devoted to the works of its poets and artists.
There are an abundance of shops, cafes and a wide range of accommodations for those who venture to Porvoo to enjoy its many delightful nuances.
Some sources proclaim that Porvoo was founded in the mid-14th century, but no one is exactly certain. Born at the junction of the river and sea, Porvoo naturally became an important center of trade, and is one of the towns listed as being on "The King's Road." Swedish King Magnus Eriksson gave Porvoo its "rights" virtually establishing its influence as a center of trade which lead to its future prosperity. The city became a gateway where goods from the west flowed through Porvoo to the north and beyond. Today Porvoo is still a vibrant business and commerce center and the "Old Town" of Porvoo makes the most of its presence on the waterfront by hosting most of the sights, attractions, accommodations and fun things to do situated right there on the river.
Porvoo is full of history dating back to Medieval times and beyond. The Hotel Haikko Manor, Spa & Conference Center's... more travel advice
When visiting Finland, remember that unlike her neighbors, Finland is on the Euro system. At this point, we had already... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Porvoo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porvoo - Borgå"
- "Porvoo - Captivating charm of Finland"
- "Charming town by the sea"
- "Porvoo ~ On the King's Road"
- "Porvoo (in Swedish Borgå)"
- "Porvoo, where my mind lives"
- "A Lovely Quaint Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porvoo
- Hotels in Porvoo
- Transportation in Porvoo
- Nightlife in Porvoo
- Restaurants in Porvoo
- Shopping in Porvoo
- Warnings and Dangers in Porvoo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Porvoo
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Porvoo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porvoo
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 27 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos