"Århus and Surrounding Attractions" Top 5 Page for this destination Århus by starship
Århus Travel Guide: 313 reviews and 730 photos
As we slowly glided into port in Århus, we realized that this would be the last day of our Baltic Sea journey and we were already sad because it had been just a remarkable trip. While I would like to have had much more time to explore each country visited on this trip, I have always looked forward with great excitement to a new port, a new country to visit almost everyday while on a cruise! It's an excitement I can't explain, but most members of VT will know exactly what I mean.
As we had come to expect during this trip, the skies above Århus were overcast and would remain that way which was very disappointing and didn't give me much hope for good photos on this our last day.
To begin with, the city of Århus is located on Jutland which is the largest land mass portion belonging to Denmark and it is connected to the European mainland by sharing a border with Germany. Denmark's capital of Copenhagen is located on the large island of Zeeland which is very close to the southern tip of Sweden.
Because Jutland is not a small place, we chose to take a tour beginning in Århus that included a ride on the vintage train at "Bryup-Vrads," a tour of the "Silkeborg Museum" where the unforgettable "Tollund Man" and "Elling Woman" are on display, and our last stop which was "Himmelbjerget" in the Danish Lake Disrict of Jutland. Truth be told, we saw very little of Århus itself, but we learned alot from our excellent guide who told us quite a bit about life in Århus and Denmark as a whole.
Another very popular reason that people like to travel to Jutland is "Legoland." Those famous, plastic interlocking, building blocks which can be turned into almost anything have their own special home in the village of Billund, about a hour away from Århus itself. Since our children are moreorless grown up, and no one had any particular interest in Legos anymore (although they are fantastic), we chose an itinerary that didn't include Legoland.
So this page will be more about the sights we saw in different places around Jutland, rather than focusing on Århus. Since there was no travel page for "Jutland" itself, this page uses Århus as a "springboard" to other places around Jutland.
After walking around Himmelbjerget and seeing some of the sights there, we stopped in the Himmelbjerget Hotel. They is... more travel advice
Again, information on this exhibit is not meant to be morbid. Elling Woman, a preserved corpse, was actually discovered... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Århus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Århus : Den Danske By"
- "Århus: Denmark's second largest and youngest city"
- "Arhus - a place of our family-history"
- "Århus and Surrounding Attractions"
- "My hometown- at the moment"
- "The second city of Denmark"
- "Where i could spent summer like the queen does."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Århus
- Hotels in Århus
- Transportation in Århus
- Nightlife in Århus
- Restaurants in Århus
- Shopping in Århus
- Warnings and Dangers in Århus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Århus
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Århus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Århus
Photos in ÅrhusSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 28 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 19 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos