"Århus and Surrounding Attractions" Top 5 Page for this destination Århus by starship

Århus Travel Guide: 312 reviews and 722 photos

Århus~ Starting Point of our Jutland Jaunt

As we slowly glided into port in Århus, we realized that this would be the last day of our Baltic Sea journey and we were already sad because it had been just a remarkable trip. While I would like to have had much more time to explore each country visited on this trip, I have always looked forward with great excitement to a new port, a new country to visit almost everyday while on a cruise! It's an excitement I can't explain, but most members of VT will know exactly what I mean.

As we had come to expect during this trip, the skies above Århus were overcast and would remain that way which was very disappointing and didn't give me much hope for good photos on this our last day.

To begin with, the city of Århus is located on Jutland which is the largest land mass portion belonging to Denmark and it is connected to the European mainland by sharing a border with Germany. Denmark's capital of Copenhagen is located on the large island of Zeeland which is very close to the southern tip of Sweden.

Because Jutland is not a small place, we chose to take a tour beginning in Århus that included a ride on the vintage train at "Bryup-Vrads," a tour of the "Silkeborg Museum" where the unforgettable "Tollund Man" and "Elling Woman" are on display, and our last stop which was "Himmelbjerget" in the Danish Lake Disrict of Jutland. Truth be told, we saw very little of Århus itself, but we learned alot from our excellent guide who told us quite a bit about life in Århus and Denmark as a whole.

Another very popular reason that people like to travel to Jutland is "Legoland." Those famous, plastic interlocking, building blocks which can be turned into almost anything have their own special home in the village of Billund, about a hour away from Århus itself. Since our children are moreorless grown up, and no one had any particular interest in Legos anymore (although they are fantastic), we chose an itinerary that didn't include Legoland.

So this page will be more about the sights we saw in different places around Jutland, rather than focusing on Århus. Since there was no travel page for "Jutland" itself, this page uses Århus as a "springboard" to other places around Jutland.

• Last visit to Århus: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 28, 2013

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Sylvia, lovely little page about your Jutland Jaunt. A pity you haven't taken any photos of the Legoland Hotel.

• starship's Profile Photo
      Jul 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thanks for visiting Holger. About the Legoland Hotel, as my tip noted, we did not stay there on our visit. If you have been there yourself, do you have any pictures I could share with readers?

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
      Jul 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

No, I haven't been to Arhus so far. If I go I will take a photo for you. :-)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2013 at 7:19 AM

A good page on one of my favourite countries. I went to Legoland when I was 8 :)

• starship's Profile Photo
      Mar 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Truth be told, I would have loved to go to Legoland myself!! Thanks so much for your visit!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 7:34 AM

I enjoyed this page. I have a book about the Bog People ( by (P V Glob ), which I enjoyed reading. Would love to see that museum. The steam train also looks like fun.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I also found the story of Tollund Man and Elling Woman fascinating. The Vintage Train ride seems like a fun thing to do.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM

great page - we were there years ago - but I joined VT. The man and woman are amazing aren't they?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Interesting tips about a part of Denmark I have not visited yet. I would certainly like to see the Silkeborg Museum with the "Tollund Man" and "Elling Woman" -- and I'd like to ride on the Bryup-Vrads Vintage Train, even if it is only 5 km each way.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2008 at 12:45 PM

The stories of the Tollund Man and Elling Woman sound very interesting! Thanks for the nice page Sylvia!

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 8:58 PM

very well written page on Arhus thanks for sharing also the informative tips and photos.. Denny

• Oct 25, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Excellent tips on Arhus! We'll be visiting Arhus early next year together with Copenhagen. This is the first Arhus page that i visited and i am very much pleased with it. Thanks!

• Jul 12, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Great information als always!

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Århus