"Warnemuende by the Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Warnemünde by starship

Warnemünde Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 108 photos

Seaside Resort in Northern Germany

Logbook~ August 7, 2005: As dawn was breaking, I awoke to see the Westerdam docking in the seaside town of Warnemuende, Germany, and not really knowing what to expect. There was a slight mist hovering in the air as men on shore scurried around to tie up the ship and began the initial process of making contact with our crew. It wasn't long before the Westerdam loaded on board what would become the makings of our ship's own magical "Oktoberfest" later in the evening... Rostocker beer, pretzels, German food of all types. The Oktoberfest would be enhanced even further by an Oompah Band providing wonderful German music and a troupe of children delighting us with German folkloric dances in their native regalia! It really was a splendid evening! But, at this point, we were looking forward to what our day in Warnemuende would bring.

The ship's main purpose in stopping at Warnemuende was to give passengers a point at which to embark on a day-long excursion into Berlin. But for those of us who chose not to rush a visit to Berlin (which would have been an expensive proposition for the 4 of us), we had an extra long day to explore Warnemuende, take a local train to Rostock, and later on even enjoy Oktoberfest by the sea.

Our Day in Warnemuende

After a great breakfast, we disembarked the ship, passed through customs and passport control and garnered another stamp in our passports. By this time the sun had risen and it looked like a fine day was ahead of us. A short walk from the ship lead us to an "underpass" beneath the train tracks where individuals were selling all kinds of souvenirs, toys, clothes and items to the visitors arriving by ship or ferry. Just beyond were steps which lead us up to the train station itself, more vendors, food stalls and then the foot bridge over to the main part of Warnemuende. The seekanal or Alten Strom was packed shoulder-to-shoulder with visitors and day tourists enjoying shops, ice cream or on their way to the wonderful, wide beach and maybe some kite flying. The village is extremely walkable and the lighthouse, the "teapot," Warnemuende-kirche, and Heimatmuseum will provide you with several hours of entertainment.

A few minutes after we stopped at a sidewalk cafe for a coffee, the skies opened up and we were caught in a drenching downpour. Everyone made a dash for cover although there was little to be had. Though it was the middle of the Summer, the rain chilled us to the bone!! Thankfully, within an hour, the sun appeared once again and gave us a glorious day. Since we had not seen much of the sun during our time in the Baltic, the sun was like an antidote to me. ( A week without sun is about as much as I can handle!!) We spent most of our time in Warnemuende walking on the beach just soaking up all the sunrays we could possibly get!!!

Then it was on by local train for a brief visit to Rostock!

A Brief History ~ Then and Now

Then ~

Warnemuende derives its name from its namesake, the Warnow River. " Warne" from the Warnow and "muende from "mouth" indicating that the river flows into the Baltic at this point. Warnemunde was originally only a tiny fishing village but in 1323, the merchants of the Hanseatic city of Rostock purchased the village to ensure that Rostock would always have access to the sea. An indeed, Warnemuende aided Rostock controlled access to the sea for several centuries and at one time became the most powerful member of the Hanseatic League. In later centuries, wars and a devastating fire led to the temporary decline of Rostock, while Warnemuende emerged as the seaside resort that it remains today.

Now ~

Once Warnemuende was a village of only two rows of cottages, but today Warnemuende has grown into a very charming and popular destination for German travelers as well as a port of call for cruise ships. (Generally, cruise ship passengers travel on to Berlin, Rostock or Wismar after a brief visit here.) A mix of old and a little bit of new, Warnemuende's architecture is distinguished by the "glass boxes" attached to house fronts. These "boxes" may be used as windows, window seats, verandas, or sitting areas; whatever the use, they bring a definite character to Warnemuende.

Whatever means are used to arrive in Warnemuende--ferry, cruise ship, or train-- the summer crowds attest to the fact that this is a popular little seaside village where Germans and others come to enjoy a different side of Germany!

• Pros:Baltic Sea Views, Expansive Beach, Lighthouse, Dripping with Charm
  • Cons:Watch for Low Flying Kites!
  • In a nutshell:Great Beer, Beautiful Seaside, Charming Town
  • Last visit to Warnemünde: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 10, 2014

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Looks like a nice little resort, but you were very wise to stay out of the chilly North Sea, though in the height of summer I imagine that hardy souls take a dip, as they do here in the UK

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:17 AM

It was a lovely village and my deteriorated photos don't really do it justice. Both my Warnemuende and Rostock pages are due for some serious restoration and refining! Thanks for your visit and the ratings!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Apr 11, 2014 at 1:15 AM

You're welcome! Let me know when/if you add to either page as I enjoyed getting to know these towns

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Yes, this sounds like a much better choice than rushing Berlin. This sounded calm and peaceful and saved a penny!

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Thank you for your kind comment. Yes, traveling to Berlin would have been a very long, rushed and expensive day. I would still like to visit that city sometime!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

It sounds to be much nicer to stroll around in Warnemunde and on the beach, and visit Rostock, than to make a long busy day trip to Berlin.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM

No major plans for the holidays this year as I just had knee surgery on Dec. 17th and it is still pretty bruised & painful. But my daughter and son are home with us, and I am happy for that! By the way, was it you who sent me a postcard from Bergamo, Italy, recently? I have been trying to thank the correct person!! It was a 2012 meet card with signatures.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Dec 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

No, I have never been to Bergamo, so it was someone else who sent you the card. Hope your knee will recover soon!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2010 at 7:18 AM

It looks absolutely a fabulous. I enjoyed the wonderful photos and tips. Post cards rock!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM

High flying kites and waves lapping the sandy shore...I like how peaceful Warnemunde's beach sounds!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Hi Sylvia, I stayed at the Hotel Neptun for one night in 1989 and it was absolutely awful -- and horrendously expensive because I was a foreigner in the GDR. But I understand the Neptun has been nicely renovated since then.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2008 at 4:02 AM

A quite charming town of Warnemunde esp. its lovely Leuchtturm and great beaches. Also thanks again for visiting my Hollywood Beach page.

• Apr 16, 2008 at 3:51 AM

Nice page! and usefull tips!! I don't know this place in Germany but never mind i read now!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 2:15 AM

Quite an enjoyable read on how you passed a day in Warnemünde! I love to visit port cities like this - with a tang of saltwater in the air and always lots of interesting things to see!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2007 at 1:14 PM

What lovely beaches on the Baltic Sea - norhing wrong with a big Mac either = enjoyed the virtual tour!!

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Warnemünde

Have you been to Warnemünde?

Latest Activity in Warnemünde