"St. Maarten of the Dutch Antilles Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination Sint Maarten by starship
Sint Maarten Travel Guide: 319 reviews and 887 photos
Living peacefully side-by-side on the same island are the separate countries of Sint Maarten, which is Dutch, and Saint Martin, which is French.
I've been to St.Maartin twice, both times as a cruise port and made the conscious choice to stay in Philipsburg rather than take any excursions.
The island of Sint Maarten/St. Martin was originally settled by the Arawak Indians who migrated north from the Orinoco River basin of South America. The Arawaks gave the island the name of "Sualouiga" or "Land of Salt" because of the salt-pans and brackish water which are found in abundance here. Later the Caribs, a more agressive Indian tribe from North America supplanted the Arawaks.
Though never having set foot upon the island, Christopher Columbus claimed the land for Spain on November 11, 1493, on the feast of St. Martin thus came the name currently used. Though not an object of the Spanish Crown's attention for many years, when the Dutch occupied the island and began mining salt and built Fort Amsterdam, Spain's possessiveness was aroused and the Dutch were expelled in 1633 and removed to Curacao. After the 80 Years War between Spain and the Netherlands, Spain once again abandoned the island and was soon claimed by both the Dutch and French. In 1648 a treaty divided the island between the Dutch and French and there after a mostly peaceful coexistance flourished. The Dutch St. Maarten became an important trading center for cotton, salt and tobacco followed by many lean years. It became a duty-free port in 1939, followed by the opening of Queen Juliana Airport in 1943.
The island of St. Maarten is a popular port of call for cruise ships in the Eastern Caribbean. Several ships may be in port on any given day making Front Street and close cross streets more of a pedestrian street mall than a place for cars. St. Maarten's economy is based largely on tourism and international trading.
Many nice resorts are located away from the Philipsburg downtown tourist area, but there is a decent beach literally within steps of downtown! Day trips or excursion tours of the French St. Martin are also a popular pastime for tourists of all kinds.
- Pros:Sun, Surf, Shopping
- Cons:Wish there was more to see and do in Philipsburg!
- In a nutshell:Only good for a short visit if you're not staying at a resort.
Outdoor street markets on Back Street. Local crafts, souvenirs, summerwear, beachwear. As with most shops here,... more travel advice
St. Maarten has several nice beach resorts. If you are a cruise passenger with a limited amount of time here, why not... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Sint Maarten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Friendly Island"
- "Our Visit to the Friendly Island"
- "St. Maarten of the Dutch Antilles Islands"
- ""The Friendly Isle""
- "Gateway to the Caribbean"
- "I Still Have Sand in My Shoes"
- "Sint Marteen - the Happy Island!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sint Maarten
- Hotels in Sint Maarten
- Transportation in Sint Maarten
- Nightlife in Sint Maarten
- Restaurants in Sint Maarten
- Shopping in Sint Maarten
- Warnings and Dangers in Sint Maarten
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sint Maarten
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Sint Maarten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sint Maarten
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 30 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belfast Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues