Venice Restaurant Tips by starship
Venice Restaurants: 790 reviews and 985 photos
Charming Interior ~ Marco Polo Ristorante
For a charming place to eat on your way to or from the Rialto Bridge or the Piazza San Marco, give the "Marco Polo Ristorante" a try. This very nice little restaurant has not only a charming interior, but some nice sidewalk tables where you can dine al fresco.
We had a late lunch here on our first full day in Venice and we were very satisfied with our meal choices which included a delicious pizza with mushrooms which my husband & I shared, a prosciutto pizza for my daughter and a pasta dish for my son with a large bottle of water, etc. Proportions and quality of the food were excellent! I love thin crust pizzas with just a little sauce and this suited me perfectly.
In my opinion, prices are very high in Venice for virtually everything, and I considered the prices at the Marco Polo no exception. While I don't expect everything to be the same as home, I do look for value for money. The pizzas were between $10 & $20 each in US dollars and the pasta dish the same I believe, yet with no bread or rolls, or salad included. Even so, I most definitely would eat here once again.
Favorite Dish: As much as we enjoyed eating outside, I found that the interior ambiance of this restaurant really appealed to me as well, and should we be so fortunate as to visit Venice again, I would love to dine here but perhaps inside!
I would be tempted to have another of their delicious pizzas, but I would definitely try a pasta dish here too.
Address: Salizzada S. Lio, #5571, Venice
Price Comparison: about average
Ca Leon Restorante Canal-Side Tables
On the recommendation of our hotel, our first evening meal in Venice was taken at " ' Ca Leon Ristorante Cicchetteria & Wine Bar". Located on a quiet side canal, 'Ca Leon features tables canal-side but also a cozy and visually interesting interior decor. We chose a table by the window, hoping for the best of both worlds. The two-room restaurant, divided by a wall, nicely separated the one side holding only a few dining tables and the other featuring banquettes with a trio of tiny tables for the wine bar. Warm woods, stone, mosaics, paintings, red table linens, shiny glass cases and a lovely bar appealed to me immediately.
We had the restaurant to ourselves for quite a while which allowed service to be very prompt but still without much warmth. The four of us all chose a pasta dish, ranging from speghetti with prawns to cannelloni with spinach and smoked mozzarella. Along with two glasses of wine, a large bottle of water and a Fanta ( + cappucinos??), the bill totaled 89 Euros----very reasonable for Venice, but still about $140 with our highly unfavorable exchange rate.
Still, I enjoyed the meal because our family was together in this magnificent city, and I admit that looking out on that quiet, beautiful canal scene and the artsy red & black restaurant decor added to my enjoyment of 'Ca Leon that evening.
Favorite Dish: My husband and son enjoyed their meals of speghetti with prawns as I did with my spinach and mozzarella cannelloni. However, after viewing the restaurant's cozy wine bar made me wish for a casual cappuccino, glass of wine or cocktail or snack just to be in that area of the restaurant (see photo below)!! Perhaps on our next visit!
Address: Santa Croce, 215
Price Comparison: about average
Ristoranti da Nino as our waiter emerges
There were several small restaurants near our hotel, including "Ristorante da Nino", which has a few tables along the Grand Canal and which we chose for one of our evening meals. It was a satisfactory choice as the food was fine, the service good, and the outdoor setting interesting if not quiet.
My husband and son's choices of speghetti with garlic sauce, and my ham & cheese panini were tasty, but portions could have been larger to be more filling. There were breadsticks on the table, but no other accompaniments came with the meals (as it would at home) if I remember correctly. As is fairly typical of Italian restaurants, other items such as a salad or garlic bread would be priced a la carte. We order a large bottle of water to share and finished the meal with cappucinos. I can't remember the exact bill total, but it was probably 40 - 45 Euros (still an expensive meal for only 3 when the exchange rate is as unfavorable as ours and the meal was so light).
Unfortunately, I really have no idea if this restaurant even had inside seating or not, and admittedly it really was the white & burgandy-colored tableclothes that attracted us, but the food certainly tasted homemade and the price was right. Don't choose this restaurant if you want a special experience though.
Favorite Dish: The speghetti with garlic sauce was very tasty, as was my ham & cheese panini; however, at Ristorante da Nino, the panini is really more like a toasted, regular bread sandwich. This restaurant is a good choice if you want a light meal, at a decent price!
Address: Sestiere Santa Croce, 565
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: On the Grand Canal across from the railroad station
Phone: +39 - 041 718955ý
More Reviews (14)
- See All San Giacometo ~ Oldest Church in Venice
- Free Water Taxi Trip to Murano Not so...
- See All Marco Polo Airport
starship's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 17 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
- Commented on one of starship's Venice tips
- updated a Venice Travel Page "The Most Serene Republic of Venice"
- Posted in Travel Ireland Forum "Re: Somewhat handicapped"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Sights in and Around Venice"
- Wrote a Review San Giacometo ~ Oldest Church in Venice about Churches in Venice Things to Do
Photos in VeniceSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 30 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belfast Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (78)
- Palazzo Ducale - Doge's Palace- 209 Reviews, 408 Photos
- Gondola- 168 Reviews, 283 Photos
- Piazza San Marco- 307 Reviews, 498 Photos
- Campanile di San Marco- 153 Reviews, 278 Photos
- Basilica di San Marco- 244 Reviews, 433 Photos
- Canal Grande- 198 Reviews, 340 Photos
- Rialto Bridge- 175 Reviews, 301 Photos
- Murano Island- 56 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Ponte dei Sospiri- 136 Reviews, 200 Photos
- Castello District - Sestiere Castello- 37 Reviews, 124 Photos
See All Venice Things to Do