"Turkish Delight" Istanbul by starship

Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,887 reviews and 20,398 photos

Istanbul ~ A Feast for the Senses!

One of the ports I most anticipated during our Mediterranean Cruise was Istanbul!! In my mind, images of the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, the Underground Cisterns, the dome & minerets of the Blue Mosque, and the Hagia Sofia had become synonymous with beauty, history, the exotic.....I am sure that movies must have played some part of that.

In any case, we would have but a day and a half in Istanbul and I knew that it would not be enough, but my plans involved seeing and experiencing as much as possible both day and night.

On our first evening in Istanbul, we took a dinner cruise on the Bosphorus Strait which lies between the Sea of Marmara and the Black Sea. The Bosphorus Strait also separates the European and Asian sides of Turkey and Istanbul itself and is lined with incredible sights. In the softening light, the Bosphorus Bridge, Rumeli Fortress, the Galata Bridge and Tower, the Ortakoy Mosque and palaces --- Dolmabahçe Palace, Topkapi, etc. --- were all magnificent. Any cruise on the Bosphorus will be wonderful.

Still under construction

• Last visit to Istanbul: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2014

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Good start about Istanbul here. Last December I really enjoyed the Turkish metropolis for a few days and like you I would love to visit Istanbul again.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Yes you need more time for sure...wonderful place
    Marg

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Thank you for the Istanbul rating! L.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2011 at 7:41 AM

I agree, two days in Istanbul is not enough! It's a very complex place, as you can see from my tips...

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Thanks for the postcard. I don't have it yet, but they tell me it's nice !!!!

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Istanbul

Have you been to Istanbul?

Latest Activity in Istanbul