"COLORFUL CURACAO !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao by starship

Curaçao Travel Guide: 346 reviews and 707 photos

Bon Bini ~ Welcome to Curacao!!

Curacao was an island I had hoped to visit for sometime. I had admired pictures of its Dutch-inspired architecture and the brilliant jewel colors of its buildings. I was looking forward to some great shopping and possibly come home with a great piece of Delft china. Sad to say that the day we arrived, the sun did not. There were moments of hazy sunshine and it was warm but overall it was not a great day for pictures. Curacao is not an especially verdant island but it has other charms.

Did you know that Willemstad has been named one of only six UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Caribbean?? Because Willemstad has a cache of architecturally and historically significant buildings (750 buildings including 8 forts, 90 "landhuizen" plantation houses, and the oldest synogogue in continuous use in the western hemisphere), which led to its being recognized in December, 1997, as a World Heritage Site.

The Dutch architecture and brilliant, jewel-like colors were a feast for the eyes and best of all, much of this interesting capital, Willemstad, can be seen on foot. We opted to take a trolley tour to cover more area and our guide gave us so much more information than we could have learned ourselves given the short amount of time there. An open-air trolley was a great way to see this very picturesque town.

In Curacao, you will find a mix of races and cultures which make for a delightful blend. Not only will you find people who speak Dutch, but those who speak Papiamento, Spanish, & Hindu or a grand mixture of all of these. People from Europe, South America, Africa and Asian ancestry call Curacao their home!

• Last visit to Curaçao: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2009

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Fabulous page about Curacao and its Dutch looking architecture. I also especially like the people sculptures.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2011 at 5:40 AM

Interesting tips on the colorful houses, especially considering that the governor seems to have owned the island’s paint factory. I’m certainly glad I don’t have a house that has to be repainted every nine months or so. I’m not surprised that many families abandoned these buildings because upkeep was so expensive.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2010 at 5:03 AM

A good introduction to an interesting place- and excellent tips and photos. Floating market sounds fascinating- as do the sculptures. Dr. Hernandez is an interesting character. GOOD UPDATES

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Really loved the Dutch architecture. The golden church is amazing. I like the brightly-painted homes regardless of why. The Fort, Church, floating market, sea sculptures, and curacao Liqueur were all fascinating. Bravo, Sylvia!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Cuaracao is really very colorful and the mix of races is I think a great thing...would love to go to the people sculptures and jump! hehehehe...Norman :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Nice page. Have been thinking for a while about doing a cruise around the islands, by your tips, looks like it would be worth it.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Superb architecture! Haha, the coral and stone bathers are really amazing! When I hear “Curacao”, I think of the liquor!

• Apr 28, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Another lovely page!

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Thank you for visiting my Venezuelan pages. I do appreciate your explanations here of this curious island I've seen from shore in Venezuela (I believe).

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2007 at 11:18 AM

A day trip to Curacao was $300+ from Aruba so we passed but hope to get here next year. Did the Ponche Cuba taste like egg nog? We bought some of it in Aruba, almost too thick to drink!

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Curaçao

Have you been to Curaçao?

Latest Activity in Curaçao