"COLORFUL CURACAO !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao by starship
Curaçao Travel Guide: 400 reviews and 945 photos
Curacao was an island I had hoped to visit for sometime. I had admired pictures of its Dutch-inspired architecture and the brilliant jewel colors of its buildings. I was looking forward to some great shopping and possibly come home with a great piece of Delft china. Sad to say that the day we arrived, the sun did not. There were moments of hazy sunshine and it was warm but overall it was not a great day for pictures. Curacao is not an especially verdant island but it has other charms.
Did you know that Willemstad has been named one of only six UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Caribbean?? Because Willemstad has a cache of architecturally and historically significant buildings (750 buildings including 8 forts, 90 "landhuizen" plantation houses, and the oldest synogogue in continuous use in the western hemisphere), which led to its being recognized in December, 1997, as a World Heritage Site.
The Dutch architecture and brilliant, jewel-like colors were a feast for the eyes and best of all, much of this interesting capital, Willemstad, can be seen on foot. We opted to take a trolley tour to cover more area and our guide gave us so much more information than we could have learned ourselves given the short amount of time there. An open-air trolley was a great way to see this very picturesque town.
In Curacao, you will find a mix of races and cultures which make for a delightful blend. Not only will you find people who speak Dutch, but those who speak Papiamento, Spanish, & Hindu or a grand mixture of all of these. People from Europe, South America, Africa and Asian ancestry call Curacao their home!
One marvelous & uniquely-flavored souvenir to bring home from Curacao is a bottle of authentic "Curacao" Liqueur. It... more travel advice
Among the statuary at the Cathedral of Pietermaai you will find this one of Dr. José Gregorio Hernández. Dr. Hernández... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Curaçao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The many faces of Curacao"
- "Curacao - Old World Charm and Crystal Clear Water"
- "COLORFUL CURACAO !!"
- "A solo holiday to Curacao on a budget"
- "Fun, Sun & Relaxation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Curaçao
- Hotels in Curaçao
- Transportation in Curaçao
- Nightlife in Curaçao
- Restaurants in Curaçao
- Shopping in Curaçao
- Warnings and Dangers in Curaçao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Curaçao
- 18 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Curaçao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Curaçao
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Who has been to over 100..."
- Commented on one of starship's Curaçao tips
- updated a Curaçao Travel Page "COLORFUL CURACAO !!"
- Wrote a Review Curacao ~ Maker of a Unique Liqueur about Senior's “Genuine Curaçao Liqueur” in Curaçao Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Curacao ~ Maker of a Unique Liqueur"
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 31 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 17 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos