Trinidad Hotel Tips by starship Top 5 Page for this destination
Trinidad Hotels: 714 reviews and 13 photos
Crowne Plaza, Port of Spain
For a central location in downtown Port of Spain, you might choose the unmistakable 243-room Crowne Plaza Hotel, which was renovated in 2004. Being 14 stories tall, it is one of the tallest buildings in Port of Spain and because of the spaceship-type restaurant on top, you can't miss this hotel. The Crowne Plaza Hotel gives you easy access to downtown, shopping, museums, and cultural sights. The hotel also has an outdoor pool, fitness center, on-site restaurant, a business center and free parking for up to 300 cars. This hotel is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Chain so booking can be done online through their site.
This hotel is within 1 mile of Queen's Savannah Park; Queen's Park Oval Cricket Ground; the National Museum of Trinidad & Tobago, and the Hasley Crawford Stadium; and about 15 miles from the historic Mt. St. Benedict, Asa Wright Nature Preserve and the Pax Guest House.
Unique Qualities: Room amenties include air-conditioning, hairdryers, coffee-makers, ironing boards & irons, and good bedding but the location of the hotel is also one of its best assets. Guest laundry facilties would definitely be a plus too!
A quick check of online room rates at the Intercontinental Hotel website showed prices began at about $195 per night d/o (2008 prices) including breakfast in July. September and October dates were very slightly less expensive. Prices could be less expensive at other online booking sites.
Address: Wrightson Rd. & London St., Port of Spain
Comparison: about average
Directions: Downtown Port of Spain, Trinidad
Other Contact: FAX: 868-625-4166
Comparison: about average
Pax Guest House
Unique Qualities: The Pax Guest House is particularly reasonable for a stay in Trinidad and has the added attraction of its location which is away from town and well suited for a quiet retreat that is close to nature.
This is a view from the back terrace of the guesthouse which is built on the side of the mountain. From this point, the foliage and flowers are eyecatching and has a great advantage for visitors who love birds as the mountain greenery is home to the many species of birds here. The view in the picture doesn't show the hummingbird feeders which were hanging all about, but the birds were flocking to them and flitting in and out of the very tall trees surrounding the Pax Guesthouse.
Having tea on one of the terraces while doing a little bird-watching is a very delightful way to spend an afternoon or early evening.
A unique part of the Mount St. Benedict Monastary is its "Pax Guest House". The small but historic, two-story building occupies only a small part of this mountain-side retreat. But it is big on charm. When we arrived, we found a few people wandering around the good-size front porch as well as inside in the airy, spacious parlor. The beautiful parlor was furnished with some antiques which made for an interesting place to relax or read. Guest rooms are located on 3 levels. Some rooms have ensuite baths, some shared.
From here you can hike to the "Asa Wright Nature Center" and the hundreds of acres of forest on the northern range.
NOTE: The Guest House had NO air-conditioning at the time of our visit and it was EXTREMELY HUMID. In the rooms we saw, there were no window screens, but I am not certain about the guest rooms themselves; perhaps netting is provided but it is best to inquire about these features before your arrival. Be sure to inquire about the availability of ceiling or floor fans if you are bothered by temperature & humidity. Bring insect repellant.
The guest house is located only 20 minutes from the airport and about 25 minutes from downtown Port of Spain.
E-mail Pax Guest House for current data as their website has not been updated in several years!!
Unique Qualities: If you are a birdwatcher, you will be happy that you are in the midst 600 acres of tropical rainforest which is home to more species of birds than I can name. You might be lucky enough to see several types of tanagers, bananaquits, manakins, parrots, and dozens of species of hummingbirds. We were served tea and sweets in the dining room and then could walk to the back terrace where several bird feeders were closely hung. It seemed as though at least a dozen hmmingbirds were flitting around vying for space at the feeders. Other colorful birds filled the trees near by. It was a beautiful setting!!
Address: Mt. St. Benedict, Tunapuna, Trinidad
Other Contact: %email@example.com
More Reviews (7)
starship's Related Pages
Trinidad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Introduction to Trinidad"
- "Trinidad, the business side of T&T"
- "Fast Phased life & slow moving traffic"
- "Trinidad Born to Lime"
- "Trinidad - Where it all began!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trinidad
- Hotels in Trinidad
- Transportation in Trinidad
- Nightlife in Trinidad
- Restaurants in Trinidad
- Shopping in Trinidad
- Warnings and Dangers in Trinidad
- See All...
Explore the World
- Village Hotel & Leisure Club Wirral
- High Cross Park Lodge Sydney
- The Lansbury Guest House
- Vallejo Inn
- Blue Tree Morumbi Convention Center
- Surfers Home Boracay
- Ramada Plaza Gatwick
- Los Angeles Apartments Ibiza
- El Fuerte Hotel
- Hotel d'Europe
- Hostel Du Roy
- Chartfield Guest House
- Good Bye Lenin - Let's Rock Hostel
- Sport Hotel
Badges & Stats in Trinidad
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Trinidad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trinidad
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Philadelphia (Non-Travel)..."
- Commented on one of starship's Trinidad travel pages
- updated a Trinidad Travel Page "An Introduction to Trinidad"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Trinidad's Grand Carnival Celebration"
- Wrote a Review Great Location for Bird-Watchers... in Trinidad Hotels
Photos in TrinidadSee All Photos (12)
Read real reviews about Trinidad Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 110 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
Latest Trinidad hotel reviews
- Salybia Nature Resort & Spa
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Trade Winds Hotel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 30, 2013
- The Emerald Apartments & Plaza
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2012
- Hilton Trinidad
- 393 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Paria Suites and Conference Centre
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2012
- Asa Wright Nature Centre and Lodge
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Crews Inn Hotel & Yachting Centre
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Maracas Bay Hotel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 27, 2013
- Anise Resort and Spa
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Cara Suites - Pointe a Pierre
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- The Royal Hotel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 30, 2013
- Palm's Hotel Trinidad
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Kalke Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Laguna Mar Lodge
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Pax Guest House
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013