"An Introduction to Trinidad" Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad by starship
Trinidad Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 102 photos
On arriving by sea in Port of Spain, you quickly see that this city is home to a thriving and interesting culture. From our ship we could see we were in a very active section of the city. A crafts market was taking place on the pier. In the small terminal, visitors shopped for souvenirs, while local woman were perusing the trendy little clothing shops there. People seemed friendly and genuinely glad to see visitors. I was impressed with "Port of Spain." I regret not being able to visit a beach, or make a side trip to Tobago--the local culture of the island, not to mention the beautiful scenery is worth the time spent to discover it.
Trinidad, one of two islands comprising the republic of Trinidad and Tobago, is situated off the northern coast of Venezuela. It is separated from the continent of South America by the Gulf of Paria and lies near the mouth of the Orinoco River. Tobago island is quite a bit smaller and is located off the northeast corner of Trinidad. Tobago is known for its fine beaches and as a vacation spot for islanders.
This pair of islands has a total area of approximately 1,980 sq. miles with a surprisingly large population of 1,100,000 people. Trinidadians are a mix of African descent (38%), East Indians (40%), mixed (20%), and others including Western European and Middle Eastern descent (2%) ( statistics courtesy of VT's own "AlbuqRay"). The predominant language is English, but Spanish, Hindi, and French Patois can also be heard.
Trinidad and Tobago have an interesting colonial history which explains its many various ethnic group inhabitants and the country seems to thrive and have a very harmonious, blended culture. Some refer to Trinidad as the "Rainbow Country."
Trinidad and Tobago's economy is such that its citizens have a per capita income well above the Latin American average. While Trinidad produces important agricultural products such as sugar cane, the exportation of refined Venezuelen petroleum accounts for as much of its income as any other single factor. However, an increasingly important export product is natural gas. Trinidad is one of the most industrialized islands in the West Indies.
If you are wondering how Trinidad came to be, look no further than the most important explorer of his time, Christopher Columbus. It is said that Columbus named the island for the way the three major peaks there reminded him of the Holy Trinity. The Holy Trinity also gave its name to an architecturally significant cathedral which stands today near Woodfront Square.
While Trinidad & Tobago have been under the rule of a succession of countries including Spain, England, Holland and France spanning its history, Trinidad and Tobago managed to become an independent state in the COMMONWEALTH OF NATIONS in August, 1962, and thereafter became an independent republic in 1976.
- Pros:Lively, friendly people, and interesting mix of cultures!
- Cons:Can be very, very hot & humid!
- In a nutshell:"A Friendly Island" and interesting culture
During our visit to the Mt. St. Benedict Monastary and the Pax Guest House for our afternoon tea, the monastary... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Trinidad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Introduction to Trinidad"
- "Trinidad, the business side of T&T"
- "Fast Phased life & slow moving traffic"
- "Trinidad Born to Lime"
- "Trinidad - Where it all began!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trinidad
- Hotels in Trinidad
- Transportation in Trinidad
- Nightlife in Trinidad
- Restaurants in Trinidad
- Shopping in Trinidad
- Warnings and Dangers in Trinidad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trinidad
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Trinidad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trinidad
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: What is the best location to..."
- Commented on one of starship's Trinidad travel pages
- updated a Trinidad Travel Page "An Introduction to Trinidad"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Trinidad's Grand Carnival Celebration"
- Wrote a Review Great Location for Bird-Watchers... in Trinidad Hotels
Photos in TrinidadSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 31 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 17 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos