"Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City by starship

Belize City Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 495 photos

Belize City & Surrounding Countryside

Before visiting Belize, I really didn't know much about it, but all that I read indicated that this Central American country was a leader in the conservation of its wildlife, most notably its jaguars. That single fact was more than enough to entice me to want to visit Belize. What I soon learned was that Belize is a veritable wildlife paradise.

Belize is home to the Cockscomb Basin Jaguar Reserve, the only one in the world. It strives to conserve other indigenous wildlife such as Howler Monkeys and also their habitat. Approximately 40% of the Belizean land mass is dedicated to nature reserves! When I happened to find a cruise that actually had a port of call in Belize, well, it didn't take long to reach the decision to book it!

As it turned out, Belize was so beautiful and the people so welcoming and seemingly appreciative of visitors that it all just made for a fantastic visit. Unfortunately I was not able to visit Caye Caulker, or Ambergris Caye, but that leaves us something to look forward to in the future if we visit Belize again.

There were, literally, scores of excursions and tour options available from our ship or that could be booked independently and making the final decision on what to do our one day in port was really difficult----there were some great Mayan Ruins to visit, the River Cave Tubing was really appealing, snorkeling which I love too, horseback riding, and of course, the wildlife tours!! We finally decided on the wildlife tour which was great but almost everyone wished we could have taken the River Cave Tubing excursion as well!! As it was, we were able to see some of Belize City itself, then went about 50 miles inland by motorcoach to visit a museum and wildlife nearby and returned to the city by a speedy boat with a fantastic ride down the Old Belize River!

A Brief History ~

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)

A Few Interesting Facts

Belize was formerly known as British Honduras. However, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is still the constitutional head of state and she is represented in Belize by a Govenor General who must be Belizean. There is a bicameral National Assembly (Senate & House of Representatives).

Suffrage: Universal at age 18.

Belize is home to the only Jaguar preserve in the world.

Belize has the second largest barrier reef in the world.

Belize is home of the Swing Bridge at Haulover Creek, the world's only manual swing bridge which is still being swung daily.

Belize is the only country in Central America where the official language is English.

The Belizean dollar (BZ$) is pegged at 1US$ to 2 BZ$.

• Pros:Wildlife, Mayan Ruins, Diving, Friendly People
  • Cons:Can be more expensive than you think!
  • In a nutshell:A fabulous country to explore!
  • Last visit to Belize City: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2013

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM

What a lovely page! I enjoy all the effort you put into your wonderful pages!

• starship's Profile Photo
      Sep 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Thanks very much, Dee. I know this page needs a lot of work. Would love to go back to Belize sometime for a longer visit.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2011 at 5:49 AM

We really loved our short stay in Belize so I very much enjoyed reading your equally enthusiastic page! Your river trip reminded me of ours on the New River, but I'm a little envious that you got so much closer to howler monkeys than we did!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2010 at 4:40 AM

Wonderful page on Belize. I've heard many good things about it. Truly a nature destination.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2010 at 5:55 AM

You just reminded me that I have to return here ! :-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I loved Belize when I visited in 1990! Sounds like you had a great time there too!

• penumbra's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Looks like a wonderful place to take in some Colonial architecture.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Sounds like a great holiday destination. I'd love the boat trip and exploring the Mayan sites. Interesting story of the benefactor of Belize. What a pity he never even set foot there. :( Excellent page with lots of useful information.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Born in Hazard KY, educated in NC, including UNC. Go Tar Heels!

• Jun 13, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Nice page

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 7:36 AM

A lot of hard work and research went into this excellent page. You make me want to return to Belize - and next time we'll take a ride on the Belize River.

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Belize City

Have you been to Belize City?