"Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City by starship
Belize City Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 495 photos
Before visiting Belize, I really didn't know much about it, but all that I read indicated that this Central American country was a leader in the conservation of its wildlife, most notably its jaguars. That single fact was more than enough to entice me to want to visit Belize. What I soon learned was that Belize is a veritable wildlife paradise.
Belize is home to the Cockscomb Basin Jaguar Reserve, the only one in the world. It strives to conserve other indigenous wildlife such as Howler Monkeys and also their habitat. Approximately 40% of the Belizean land mass is dedicated to nature reserves! When I happened to find a cruise that actually had a port of call in Belize, well, it didn't take long to reach the decision to book it!
As it turned out, Belize was so beautiful and the people so welcoming and seemingly appreciative of visitors that it all just made for a fantastic visit. Unfortunately I was not able to visit Caye Caulker, or Ambergris Caye, but that leaves us something to look forward to in the future if we visit Belize again.
There were, literally, scores of excursions and tour options available from our ship or that could be booked independently and making the final decision on what to do our one day in port was really difficult----there were some great Mayan Ruins to visit, the River Cave Tubing was really appealing, snorkeling which I love too, horseback riding, and of course, the wildlife tours!! We finally decided on the wildlife tour which was great but almost everyone wished we could have taken the River Cave Tubing excursion as well!! As it was, we were able to see some of Belize City itself, then went about 50 miles inland by motorcoach to visit a museum and wildlife nearby and returned to the city by a speedy boat with a fantastic ride down the Old Belize River!
A Brief History ~
Belize was formerly known as British Honduras. However, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is still the constitutional head of state and she is represented in Belize by a Govenor General who must be Belizean. There is a bicameral National Assembly (Senate & House of Representatives).
Suffrage: Universal at age 18.
Belize is home to the only Jaguar preserve in the world.
Belize has the second largest barrier reef in the world.
Belize is home of the Swing Bridge at Haulover Creek, the world's only manual swing bridge which is still being swung daily.
Belize is the only country in Central America where the official language is English.
The Belizean dollar (BZ$) is pegged at 1US$ to 2 BZ$.
- Pros:Wildlife, Mayan Ruins, Diving, Friendly People
- Cons:Can be more expensive than you think!
- In a nutshell:A fabulous country to explore!
Belize has done a good job of providing an attractive waterfront for visitors to enjoy and also take advantage of some... more travel advice
If you like classy places, stop by The Smokey Mermaid situated in the inner courtyard of the Great House Hotel in the... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Belize City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation"
- "Belize City - I've Seen Better!"
- "Seedy Old Colonial Capital"
- "Belize City and Countryside - Dec. 2004"
- "Belize City"
- "Belize City"
- "Belize City, Belize"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belize City
- Hotels in Belize City
- Transportation in Belize City
- Nightlife in Belize City
- Restaurants in Belize City
- Shopping in Belize City
- Warnings and Dangers in Belize City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belize City
- 19 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Belize City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belize City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where is DAO?"
- Commented on one of starship's Belize City travel pages
- updated a Belize City Travel Page "Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Oldest Anglican Church in Central America"
- Wrote a Review Shops & Restaurants Facing Belize Harbor in Belize City Shopping
Photos in Belize CitySee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 27 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Venice Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (74)
Latest Belize City hotel reviews
- Blackbird Caye Eco-Resort
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Belcove Hotel
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Princess Hotel And Casino Belize
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Radisson Fort George Hotel And Marina
- 281 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- The Great House
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Best Western Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Seaside Guest House
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Barefoot Beach Belize/Seaview Hotel
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Caye Chapel Island Resort
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Mopan River Resort
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Mopan
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- THE RED HUT INN
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Birds Eye View Lodge
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 15, 2013