"Nassau in the Bahamas" Nassau by starship

Nassau Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 1,345 photos

Have a Great Day in Nassau!!

The Bahamas are comprised of nearly 700 islands strung like pearls in an archipelago over a distance of 500 miles. In particular, Nassau is located on New Providence Island and possesses a happy mix of culture, beaches, resorts, shopping, and history. Having visited Nassau 3 times by ship, I can say I always look forward to the first sights coming into view in Nassau's harbor --- the Hog Island Lighthouse and the unforgettable Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island!! I love it as our ship glides into its berth at Prince George's Wharf and I look forward to arriving on Nassau's shore.

Regardless of the number of ships which have preceded us into harbor or the number of tourists that can be seen on the pier, I know it will be a good day in Nassau! The "stable" of ships lined up at Prince George Wharf are in themselves a treat for me and I love to see them and photograph them each and every time.

In the past we have limited ourselves to what we can see on foot or by water taxi. Visiting the Straw Market and taking the water taxi to Paradise Island to get one of the fabulous burgers at Murray's Delicatessen has been de rigor for us. However, the next time we visited we determined to venture further afield to test the proverbial "waters" on New Providence Island and Nassau itself.

Sad Plight of the Lucayans

The Bahamas possess some interesting history dat1ng back to several hundred years B.C., the time period which is thought to be represented in archaelogical digs around the island. Lucayan Indians (from which Grand Lucaya Island gets its name) were the peaceful inhabitants who were farmers living mostly in thatch huts, making tools and pottery. When Christopher Columbus landed on San Salvador (Or Cat Island depending on the historian) in 1492, there were 40,000 Lucayans living on the scattered Bahama Islands. It is said that within 3 years time, Columbus enslaved the Indians shipping them to Hispanola to toil in his mines. Because of the hardships of slavery and disease brought by the Europeans, the whole tribe was decimated in 25 years' times...a tragedy in every sense of the word.

Blackbeard's Lair

In days of old, pirates and privateers plied the waters of Caribbean and the coastal United States terrorizing, stealing and murdering many of the unfortunate sea merchants who crossed their paths. Privateers often worked both sides of the law, while pirates were indiscriminate about their prey whether on land or sea.

One of the most notorious pirates ever to sail the seas was one Edward Teach, a.k.a., "Blackbeard." So fearsome was his countenance that victims would often surrender before the first shot was fired. Teach was physically large and formidable and made himself even more so by lighting on fire the hemp woven in his beard!! Then he would stand on deck with his fiery beard brandishing swords, knives and pistols!

While calling Nassau his home, his followers declared him as a sort of magistrate over the "Privateers' Republic" where Edward Teach WAS the law. In 1718, a new Roayl Governor by the name of Woodes Rogers arrived and quickly set about eliminating all pirates but especially Blackbeard. Blackbeard was trapped off the coast of Virginia and mortally wounded by Navy. He was then decapitated and his head hung on the ship's rigging for all to see. During Blackbeard's pirating spree which spanned only 5 years, he captured at least 40 ships. His legend still lives on in the Caribbean and the southeast coast of the United States.

Other well-known pirates in the Caribbean were John Rackham, known as "CALICO JACK", Sir Henry Morgan, and 2 female pirates of much note, Anne Bonney and Mary Read. You will find name references to these famous pirates in many places: cays named for them, rum cakes, stamps with their likenesses, etc. Today Captain Jack Sparrow" of the movie Pirates of the Caribbean puts a friendly and amusing face to the pirate legend, unlike the fearsome & often vicious creatures they really were.

• Pros:Beaches, sealife, shopp1ng, and friendly people
  • Cons:Can be quite hot and humid, hurricanes!
  • In a nutshell:It's always a good day in Nassau!!
  • Last visit to Nassau: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 4, 2012

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM

You always write great tips! I find Senor Frogs expensive (he is everywhere) but good service. All the very best!

• starship's Profile Photo
      Oct 4, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Hey DAO, thanks for visiting my Nassau page --- I am sure it needs updating! I agree about Senor Frog's but honestly I've never found any place there that isn't unfortunately. Maybe off the beaten path would be the best, but I've heard of several robberies of tourists who do venture away from the waterfront area---even groups being robbed at major attraction sites.

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2010 at 5:22 AM

Hi Sylvia...well done great informative tips with great pics...a place I have always wanted to visit..I will one day..

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2010 at 5:21 AM

No, I leave today and have to be in Durness Scotland on Sunday. I only get my schedule 2-3 days before right now. All the best!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Looks lovely there, liked your tip on Senor Frogg ;-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Sylvia, Nassau seems to be a fascinating place, only I haven't visited this region of the world yet. Gorgeous page here with fabulous updates. Well done.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I had to refresh my memory. I once went to Nassau when I was bored in Miami Beach after a week. It became the most expensive holiday in my life :-) But it was great. Your tips include everything I expect of ***** tips, fabulous! Sissi

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Sylvia, Thanks so much for your nice map postcard of Bahamas. Happy New Year 2010 Year of the Tiger. Cheers, SL:)

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I realy enjoyed your page. Great tips too. Makes me wish to vist. Maby some day soon. Valentina

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 6:59 AM

nice information and great restaurant tips

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Wow this place lives up to its name of Paradise! Sol Kerzner built Sun City many years ago-he knows how to please tourists. The sea in incredibly blue. Lovely page, Sylvia

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Badges & Stats in Nassau