"Isla de Margarita, "Pearl of the Caribbean"" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Margarita by starship
Isla Margarita Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 198 photos
NOTE (2015): Over the past several years, Isla Margarita has experienced a rise in crime against tourists including robberies and murders which have been reported by several media sources. It may be appropriate to suggest that tourists considering a visit to the island check for current information and travel advisories from their governments pertaining to the current situation on Isla Margarita and Venezuela as a whole.
Just off the coast of northern Venezuela lies Isla de Margarita. The combination of excellent beaches, sunny moderate temperature and affordability have combined to make sun-kissed Isla de Margarita a popular destination for North Americans and Europeans. Just 23 km from mainland Venezuela and 11 degrees north of the Equator, this island is a quiet respite for winter-weary northerners and sun-worshippers. Sheltered from storms and hurricanes ( the annual average rainfall is very low) and with the average temperature about 85 degrees, these conditions make for perfect beach weather most of the year! And Isla de Margarita has beaches by the dozens!
I had been aware of Isla Margarita for some time and had considered vacationing here for at least one week, but some how it never happened. We arrived here (April, 2003) aboard the MS Volendam and had only 1 day to see the island. Our ship docked at the remote Port of Guamache. For those like us who were not booking excursions, there were many taxi drivers and guides readily available to shore you their island.
A Few Facts...
Isla Margarita is part of the three-island Nueva Esparta State of Venezuela--the two other islands are Coche and Cubagua. Christopher Columbus discovered the island in 1498 and the local natives, called "Guaigueries," were said to receive the conquering Spaniards with "open arms." What a rare thing! Venezuela's contribution of pearls represented almost a third of all "New World" tribute to the Crown of Spain.
In 1814, Isla de Margarita became the first free territory in Venezuela and is where Simon Bolivar (the "LIbertador") was first hailed as the leader of the new and independent republic.
- Pros:At the time of our visit, we found friendly people, wonderful native crafts, inexpensive, beaches
- Cons:Crime has increased and robberies & murder of tourists have been reported.
Not everyone, but a lot of tourists arrive on Isla Margarita by cruise ship. My family and I could not agree on any... more travel advice
Those Trudels' really know their business and in addition to their Bed & Breakfast they also own Trudel's Garden... more travel advice
starship's Related Pages
Isla Margarita Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla de Margarita, "Pearl of the Caribbean""
- "ISLA DE MARGARITA"
- "THE PEARL OF THE CARIBBEAN"
- "Isla Margarita for Business & Pleasure"
- "Our Dream Wedding in Playa Caribe"
- "Isla de Margharita"
- "CHALET TURISTICO ISLA MARGARITA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Margarita
- Hotels in Isla Margarita
- Transportation in Isla Margarita
- Nightlife in Isla Margarita
- Restaurants in Isla Margarita
- Shopping in Isla Margarita
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Margarita
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Margarita
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Isla Margarita?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Margarita
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where Should You Go in 2015?..."
- updated a Isla Margarita Travel Page "Isla de Margarita, "Pearl of the Caribbean""
- Commented on one of starship's Isla Margarita travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Customized Tours of the Island"
- Wrote a Review Playa Parguito for Surfing in Isla Margarita Things to Do
Photos in Isla MargaritaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 32 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Costa Rica Intro, 20 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 20 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State College Intro, 30 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 20 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orlando Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk Intro, 15 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 19 reviews, 66 photos
- Tucson Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos