"**...COUNTY MAYO...**" County Mayo by Xinta
County Mayo Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 398 photos
Mayo is a maritime county and the third largest county in Ireland. It is becoming a popular tourist destination with continuous investment in facilities, attractions and amenities. Our Lady's Shrine, Knock, is one of the major attractions of the county, with over 1,500,00 visitors annually. His Holiness Pope John Paul II came as a pilgrim to Knock on 30 September 1979, the goal of his journey to Ireland. Apart from His Holiness Pope John Paul II, Mayo has welcomed other world figures in recent times: President Reagan of the United States to Cong in 1974; Prince Charles to Delphi Lodge in 1995 and Prince Edward to Castlebar in 1996, as well as numerous European Union and United States celebrities.
One of the most significant developments in the county in the 20th century was the provision of an international airport between Knock and Charlestown. It was erected due to the vision and determination of Monsignor James Horan (1911 - 1986), who was parish priest of Knock from 1970 until his death. Despite many vicissitudes and much criticism, the airport was completed on schedule and within budget (itself a major achievement by Irish standards) and officially opened on 30 May 1986. It is now known as Horan International Airport in honour of the great monsignor.
Xinta's Related Pages
County Mayo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Western frontier"
- "Up Mayo!"
- "Mayo - with Irland biggest island, Achill Island"
- "Holy and Hilly"
- "Beautiful Mayo"
- "Cycling through parts of Ireland"
- "**...COUNTY MAYO...**"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Mayo
- Hotels in County Mayo
- Transportation in County Mayo
- Nightlife in County Mayo
- Restaurants in County Mayo
- Shopping in County Mayo
- Warnings and Dangers in County Mayo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Mayo
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to County Mayo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Mayo
Top 10 Pages
- Kuching Intro, 34 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wicklow Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amersfoort Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Keukenhof Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bako National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue