"*...AMERSFOORT...**" Amersfoort by Xinta
Amersfoort Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 339 photos
During my last trip to Europe, I spent most of my time in Amersfoort. Of course, I did a bit of touring around to other parts of Netherlands as well as other European countries.
Located in the centre of the country, Amersfoort was a geographically attractive location on the way to the North and East of the country. I do find it a compact but neat lil old city, with walls built around it. It's like a city built within the fortress. The first wall was built around the city in the 13th century, the purpose being to defend the city against hostilities. Amersfoort was such a prosperous city that a century later, an entirely new town wall with gates was built. The old town centre of Amersfoort has remained intact to such an extent that it was declared a protected townscape. The ground plan of the city centre has remained nearly unchanged throughout the centuries, and certain of the walls had been preserved until this very day.
Amersfoort is not like any other big cities in Netherlands, it does not experience the hustle and bustle of the real city life. Instead it has so much to offer. You'll experience a more quiet and peaceful side of the Netherlands. And you don't find many tourists coming to this part of the Netherlands. However, the activity increases during weekends, and you'll find the town packed with people in this compact lil town.
- Pros:People, Town...
- Cons:Can't think of any...
It is located in three of the splendid Wall Houses, which were built around 1500 on the foundations of the old town... more travel advice
I think it's a pretty cool place. Pretty unique and interesting deco with boots hanging from the ceiling. If you're into... more travel advice
Xinta's Related Pages
Amersfoort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amersfoort The city of monuments"
- "Amersfoort, old fortified town in the middle of NL"
- "Amersfoort, a pleasurable place"
- "The Stone City"
- "Amersfoort (Keistad)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amersfoort
- Hotels in Amersfoort
- Transportation in Amersfoort
- Nightlife in Amersfoort
- Restaurants in Amersfoort
- Shopping in Amersfoort
- Warnings and Dangers in Amersfoort
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Amersfoort
- 10 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Amersfoort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amersfoort
Photos in AmersfoortSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuching Intro, 34 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wicklow Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amersfoort Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Keukenhof Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bako National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue