"**...SIBU...**" Top 5 Page for this destination Sibu by Xinta
Sibu Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 140 photos
It was my first visit to Sibu. Well, sort of. Anyway, the main intention that brought me here was my cousin's wedding. I must say that it was a very beautiful and grand wedding. :-) Hmmm...I kinda diverted to some other things. ;-) Okai back to Sibu again. I was there for only three days coz of my work. It's a pity that it was a short stay and I didn't get to explore more places and to see more things. However, I do plan to go back there again soon. :-)
Anyway, here's a brief info on Sibu. Did you know that Sibu is the second largest city in Sarawak, which is situated 60Km upstream from the sea? Well it is! Even though it's the second largest, I must admit that it is a small but very busy city. Sibu is actually the main gateway to the numerous riverine towns and villages along the Rejang/Igan River. I was told that Sibu was once known as New Foochow, because of the majority of the Chinese migrants who came from the Foochow province to escape poverty, but now they have made Sibu what it is today. In fact, Sibu reputedly boasts more millionaries than any other city in Borneo coz of the timber activities that has been going on here for years. Interesting, eh? ;-)
**...I LOVE COLLECTING POSTCARDS AND STAMPS. IF ANY ONE OF YOU SHARE SIMILAR INTEREST, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I'LL BE MOST HAPPY TO TRADE IT WITH YOU!...**
It might come in handy if you're going to Sibu. ;-) Can get it at the tourist office.
- Pros:Places are within a walking distance.
- Cons:Nothing much to see around this city, except shopping.
- In a nutshell:A place where you can really bargain and shop till you drop!
You can find row and row of shophouses within walking distance. And each shophouses offers you a wide variety of things... more travel advice
It is one of the top end hotels situated very close to the centre of town. more travel advice
Xinta's Related Pages
Sibu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oh Sibu !"
- "Sibu - Biggest town on the Rejang River"
- "Sibu - The Malaysian Foochow Town"
- "Sibu, Sarawak - The Mighty Rejang River"
- "Sibu --- Cheap cheap food"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sibu
- Hotels in Sibu
- Transportation in Sibu
- Restaurants in Sibu
- Shopping in Sibu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sibu
- 7 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Sibu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sibu
Top 10 Pages
- Kuching Intro, 34 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wicklow Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amersfoort Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Keukenhof Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bako National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maastricht Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue