"NEW YORK!NEW YORK!" New York City by daryll
New York City Travel Guide: 15,557 reviews and 30,993 photos
ACTUALLY MEANS 'THE LAND OF THE HILLS' MAINLY REFERRED BY THE NATIVE AMERICAN
- AUG 2006 - NEW YORK NEW YORK, its so nice they name it twice. 1st of all, many many THANK YOU to Joe Daddygila for coming down all the way from Mount Kisco for unofficial VT meeting with me. It felt much easier to have Joe be my guide for a day especially during my first trip. See my NYC VT MEET for more.
My trip to the Big Apple felts like my AMERICAN DREAM come true, i mean that like in the movie and sitcom such FRIENDS and WILL & GRACE. Despite of the frequent rain during my trip, i made it fun and enjoyable as possible, sipping cup of cappucino in Starbucks, shopping at typical American stores eg; Macys and Old Navy, breakfast at typical New Yorker diners then an awesome trip to top The Empire State Building with great views of Manhattan skycrapers during the night and day cruise around the Statue of Liberty and night tour on Manhanttan skyline from Brooklyn
New York was suppose to be New Amsterdam after the early arrival by the Dutch at most area in Lower Manhattan and especially Brooklyn which means Broken Land in Dutch; until the British claimed New York which also represent Duke of York in England.
New York City mainly focus on the famous Manhattan island, besides Manhattan, New York state also feature Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn as one of the famous boroughs.
Manhattan, the most populated island of the New York borough located next on the west by the famous River Hudson and on the east by the East River.
Manhattan Island was known as the land of the hills by the American Red Indian, and this fact can be still seen at most of Harlem roads and avenues.
New York State was covered by glaciers, with southern Longs Island and Staten Island being the exceptions. Therefore, Manhattan is a suitable place to built skyscrapers purely because of these strong structures produce after the glaciers. Some of this stone can be seen at Central Park.
Most streets in Manhattan are numbered and laid out in a grid, from the beginning of 14 street up to 220th street. The rest of the 14 street and below were named during Dutch and British arrivals. Avenues were grid from north to south and streets run east and west. New Yorkers often used the terms going Uptown mean going up north of manhattan and vice versa for downtown. Travel east to west or vice versa were used as crosstown.
New York city street life is colourful and enjoyable which is the best way to explore by foot. Well known as most diversified society, not suprise New Yorkers will tend to speak Spanish and other languages such Russian, Yiddish, Cantonese, Greek and of course American English.
Summer is always a pleasant time to visit The Big Apple; May - September which also considered as the Peak Season, airfare and hotels tend to increase their rate to make most of the period of summer.
Winter month can be very cold to visit but New York will tend to get busier especially during Christmas period, as everyone seem to try to participate the festival spirit which is so well advertised in most movies, sitcom, and any publication way to express New Yorkers during christmas period.
No matter what season, New York has its own events and unique which suitable to visit all season however making a choice is still wise to follow.
Acclaimed to be World Largest store, I was quite suprise that Macy's is still using wooden made escalator (looks like in... more travel advice
Hershey's is AMerican famous chocolate brand which the big large store can be found at Times Square with most items... more travel advice
daryll's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "I loved it - and I don't even like apples!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 17 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: INDIA for 11 Days - 25 Sep -..."
- Commented on one of BorneoGrrl's New York City travel pages
- updated a New York City Travel Page "NEW YORK!NEW YORK!"
- Wrote a Review New York Macy is a MUST about Macy's in New York City Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "New York Macy is a MUST"
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 72 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 17 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 17 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (34)
Latest New York City hotel reviews
- Chelsea Center Hostel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 16, 2012
- West 57th Street by Hilton Club
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- 254 East Vacation
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2012
- Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel
- 1248 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Hotel Riverside Studios
- 210 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Aladdin Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2009
- McBurney YMCA
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel
- 421 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Hudson, An Ian Schrager Hotel
- 2807 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Little Apple Manhattan Inn
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2012
- Guest House Off Park
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 19, 2013
- Signature Suites West Village
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 24, 2011
- Valentine Rentals @ 175th St
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2012
- 400 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013