"THE KUCHING PILGRIMAGE" Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching by daryll
Kuching Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 164 photos
I think Kuching is fantastic city. A multiracial society just like any towns in Malaysia. But what fascinate me most about the Town is the Kuching river, the fantastic history collection of prehistoric and the Raja Brookes family in the museum. Head Hunters village replica can be found as part of the Kuching State museum.
Kuching Waterfront also attracts me, as it looking over the Margarita Fort. Satok Market was the highlighT of the trip. Indeed we couldnt wait on the 1st day arrival, we were walking and searching for the acclaimed night market. Then when we actually stop and ask the locals, the night martet in Satok apparently doesnt exist. It was the laughing subject on that night while enjoying the cool night at the Kuching Waterfront cafes. We went to Satok on the second day by cab. On the way back to the airport, our coached also head to Sarawakian Bird's Nest factory. Of course time to shop as well.
TRIP organised in Oct 2002 - a 3 day 2 nights arranged with the members of the Holy Cross Ministry.
3 days in Kuching following with the Holy Cross Pilgrimage , a local catholic ministry from Petaling Jaya, organised the trip to visit the founder of the Holy Cross.
We took AIRASIA from Kuala Lumpur Internbational airport and the journey only takes 1 1/2 hour.
October is not the best month to visit Kuching due to high humidity and its a monsoon period however that wasnt the obstacle for all of us to a good opportunities on cheap flight by Malaysian budget airline.
'KUCHING' means cat in malay.
Apparently the locals claimed Kuching was name in regards to the legend during medieval time whereby the town was dominated by cats. Undoubtly, all the rats in the town were demolished. Men's best friend now they also have Cat Museum in town centre.
But more accurately, Kuching is name as per 'Mata Kucing' fruit (longan is mean actually) which means cats eye.
Besides of the famous cat, Kuching the capital city of Sarawak, also well known as the Head Hunters Land. Some Hollywood movies revealed the cruelness of the Borneo Head Hunters tribe, simply slash heads to prove themselves as Warriors at their own comunity. Dont worry,head hunters no longer exist but locals is hunting at tourist dollars.
It was great that night for me and my gangs. We had some beers and sitting at the beside the waterfront looking out... more travel advice
Along India Street, which is designated as a pedestrian walkway, are a variety of shophouses trading colourful textiles,... more travel advice
daryll's Related Pages
Kuching Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome/Selamat Datai to Kuching,the Cat City."
- "Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia"
- "School Holiday Break in Kuching Sarawak"
- "THE KUCHING PILGRIMAGE"
- "Sarawak, Kuching"
- "Fly to Kuching International Airport"
- "Kuching Festival - August 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuching
- Hotels in Kuching
- Transportation in Kuching
- Restaurants in Kuching
- Shopping in Kuching
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuching
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuching
- 11 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kuching?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuching
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 72 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 22 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 17 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 17 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues