"Dorchester" Top 5 Page for this destination Dorchester by freya_heaven

Dorchester Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 163 photos

Dorchester is the country town of Dorset, situated a few miles inland of the famous Jurassic Coast. Lots of history to discover the from the Romans nearly 2000 years ago, to the life of Thomas Hardy. There are many museums in this little town, infact I have not been anywhere there are so many in such a small area. I have attempted to cover most of them throughout my page.

" At first I could see nothing, the hot air escaping from the chamber causing my flame to flicker, but presently, as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues and gold, everywhere the glint of gold"

Egyptologist Howard Carter reliving his experience of discovereing the tomb of Tutankhamun, November 1922

• Last visit to Dorchester: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 1, 2004

Travelogues (1)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2005 at 7:38 AM

It seems I am drawn to this wonderful page! The Terracotta Warriors Museum looks absolutely fascinating! This community is filled with the most wonderous museums. I love poetry and I am mummies are so interesting!

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 5:25 AM

Truly fascinating! - Terracota figures, mummies and the Dorset dialect :) How far is this place from Slapton ?

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 1:28 PM

Loved it. Enjoyed the poem too! Interesting museum, wished I'd thought of that!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 1:48 PM

Excellent tips on this interesting place. Will be in England soon, but only for a short visit.

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 10:29 PM

Very beautiful and stunning mummies!!! Wish I could come there right now!!! Great mummy pictures too!!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 4:20 PM

Wonderful pictures and pages, as I had expected of all your work! Hope all is well! Mark

• Lady_Mystique's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 1:22 PM

Those mummies are amazing aren't they?? I've seen a few Egyptian mummies at exhibits in The Louvre, at Tutunkamen's exhibit in Seattle, and in an exhibit brought over to Victoria, B.C. from England. A beautiful and rich culture of that time period!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 12:32 PM

Well done Nicola ! Another of your superb pages ! Egypt in England, how unexpected ! Thanks for visiting my Montpellier page. You sure should visit this often under-rated part of France. You won't be deceived.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 10:48 AM

Wonderful pictures and tips on the museum! Very nice page. The mummy with the tongue sticking out was particularly ....well, gross. q*o*p

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2004 at 1:59 PM

Nicola, what a fabulous page--you've absolutely made me want to visit the museums! I particularly like the poetry/literary connection (read Tess of the D'ubervilles this year) and the Egyptian Museum!

Badges & Stats in Dorchester

Have you been to Dorchester?

Latest Activity in Dorchester