Slapton Things to Do Tips by freya_heaven
Slapton Things to Do: 6 reviews and 6 photos
Slapton Ley Nature Reserve
Many bird watchers come here, they have hides around the lake to view the wildlife. There is also Slapton Ley Field Centre, which is an educational centre who do courses about the Ley.
Phone: Tel: 01548 580466
Slapton Sands & Pilchard Cove
Park at the Strete Gate Carpark & head along the beach away from Torcross.
The far end of the beach at Pilchard cove is known as a meeting place for gay men.
Every winter the houses along the front get a hammering from the rough seas, which is why there is a huge retaining wall. The next village along, Hallsands was taken by the sea in 1917 during a particularly violent storm.
Operation Tiger Memorial
Both memorials tell the story of events.
Memorial Tank, Tor Cross
There is usually someone selling books & videos about the tragic events of 1944.
Freya on Slapton Sands
At the eastern end is a carpark & usually an icecream van. Slapton a pebbly beach so not sure where the "Sands" came from! The drop in to the sea is very steep. It really is not suitable for children, but great for adults. Watch out for the strong undercurrents here though.
The beach here is so big, it never gets too busy. Walk more than 150 meters from the car park & you are usually on your own.
More Reviews (6)
freya_heaven's Related Pages
Slapton Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Slapton
- Hotels in Slapton
- Transportation in Slapton
- Restaurants in Slapton
- Warnings and Dangers in Slapton
- See All...
Explore the World
- Santorini Island Hotels
- Negombo Hotels
- Pulau Batam
- Battaramulla Hotels
- Bangor Hotels
Badges & Stats in Slapton
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Slapton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slapton
Top 10 Pages
- Israel Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 46 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 40 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 43 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Jordan Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Austell Intro, 29 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues