"Torquay And Cockington" Top 5 Page for this destination Torquay by freya_heaven

Torquay Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 362 photos

Torquay is the largest town in the famed "English Riviera" which also has the collective name of Torbay. The title includes the towns of Torquay, Paignton, Brixham and the villages of Cockington, Galmpton and Churston Ferrers.

In its hayday Torquay was "the" place to holiday, much of the elegance of yesteryear can still be found amongst the modern Torquay. With area such as Wellswood, Babbacombe and the Warberrys still having wonderful Edwardian Villas.

It is still very much a tourist destination today, also very popular with foreign language student who desend on the whole of the English Riviera in their 1000's throughout the summer months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rose Cottage is a typical sight you will see in the picture perfect village of Cockington, which is practically joined on the Torquay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have lived in Torquay on & off for many years in the past when I first left home, also I went to school & college here, so any questions I should be able to help.

There may also be the occassional dodgy old photo of me in these pages! q(~_~)p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Pros:Pretty in places, great nightlife & waterfront areas
  • In a nutshell:Nice for a holiday if you don't scratch the surface!
  • Last visit to Torquay: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• Aug 25, 2006 at 2:42 PM

Thank you for your inclusion of Cockington forge - I must be a privileged mortal to have been given a miniature horseshoe in the 1950s. But please tell me, what are: brass's ?

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 9:38 PM

Just when I thought I had seen them all, I find the best one hidden here :) ... Beautiful page, Nicola! I found all my favourites here - Agatha Christie, Fawlty Tower, John Lee ... Oh and not forgetting the Mars Bar *lol*

• am&pm's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 7:26 PM

Had fun looking at Babbacombe via the link you put here. I think I wouldn't mind visiting! Dad lived near Torquay a while--therefore I even know how to pronounce it! :) Nice page, thanks!

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 12:38 PM

It is an interesting place you described in your presentation. So many different things to be seen in a small place. Thank you Nicola.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 3:55 AM

Very interesting reading, Nicola. So carrefuly chosen interesting tips of so far the unknown places to me. I like your excellent photos. Greets.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 2:08 AM

Very interesting and informative. (Did you mean 70,000 years and not 700,000?)

• nyc10025's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 11:28 AM

Nicola, My wife and I were in Torquay and the rest of Southwest England for a couple of weeks in 1977, We loved it. Ken

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 9:14 PM

Very nicely done page. Happy Birthday and may you be blessed with many more. Wayne

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 8:36 AM

A wonderful page Nicola, with lot's of very useful info and tips on Torquay! I'm surprised that I have not made it there yet on my trips to Cornwall ! Glad the old Edwardian Pavilion survived and the 'Clever' bridge is indeed a good idea!! Nice stuff!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 7:18 PM

A refreshing location and a nice page. I would not have expected to find here North African cooking ! Globalization !

Badges & Stats in Torquay

Have you been to Torquay?

Latest Activity in Torquay