"Magical Wadi Rum" Top 5 Page for this destination Wadi Rum by freya_heaven

Wadi Rum Travel Guide: 243 reviews and 576 photos

Wadi Rum is barrren rocky desert area in the southern part of the Middle Eastern Country, Jordan. It is part of an ancient caravan route between Saudi Arabia and Syria to the North

I had the most Magical time at Wadi Rum, On our second day there it was my
24th birthday, unbeknown to Alex my travelling companion.

After a day walking, we were in our tent trying to get warm and sort out our tea (Pitta & Cheese).
When the restaurant manager came to our tent and invited us to eat in the restaurant.

It turned out it was also Rami's (the restaurant managers) birthday, which they were celebrating in the restaurant with lots of singing & dancing.
After our meal I told Alex it was actually my birthday too, which she then without my knowing told the Rami. I was then sung to by the other tourists and staff in the restaurant.

Later in the evening Alex & I were the only ones left, wanting to spend as long as we could in the warm before heading back to our tent.

We were then invited by Rami and his boss, out in to the Desert, as they were going to go out there to meet some people to celebrate Ramis birthday. We accepted, and off we went in a huge old truck with Rami,and his boss in the Rum Desert.

After a while of bumping around over the rocky desert, we came to a Bedouin tent, with a fire and about 5 or 6 other local men. Then the fun really began.................

Everyone took it in turns to entertain, dance, clap and, or sing songs a couple of the men were drumming on drums they had taken. We were obviously a lot more selfconsious than they were, as they seemed to all know each other very well, but we did our bit.
All this around a fire, in the desert, with the most beautiful star filled night. It was all so surreal and yet at the same time felt so natural for us to be there.

Later someone offered to take Alex & I further in to the Desert in the truck, we accepted, but we seemed to be going much further than expected, so not wanting to offend anyone with our concerns, Alex pretended to be sick out if the window
(~_~) !
We were taken back to our tent at about 3 in the morning.

Looking back I can not believe we let ourselves get in to such a vunerable situation and were so trusting, to be honest now I am older & wiser I certainly wouldnt to it again.

But what a wonderful, totally unplanned and impromptu evening we we would have missed had we not accepted, I can not imagine any birthday in the future will live up to my 24th,

A Truly Magical Experience And Birthday...................................

Dont forget to have a look at my other JORDAN related pages.
Jordan
Petra
Amman
Aqaba
Karak
Jarash
Madaba (including Mount nebo)

• Pros:Beautiful, wonderful history
  • Cons:Not that easy to get to, if you are not on a tour bus
  • In a nutshell:Vast, beautiful and romantic
  • Last visit to Wadi Rum: Apr 1995
  • Intro Updated Oct 11, 2004

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2005 at 1:26 AM

Nice page, I would like to visit someday... I have to admit from the picture, I would not have realised that was a graveyard either!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 1:41 PM

What an experience! What a birthday celebration. Yes, you are much braver than I would have been. But, exotic, memorable, and unique. Just wonderful pages, & your introduction is fantastic.

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 8:48 AM

Amazing pictures of the Wadi ... beautiful page, Nicola!

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 3:30 PM

That photo on 'desert camping'...is gorgeous! Have a nice weekend...and 'happy travels'! Blu

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2005 at 5:40 AM

What a beutiful page and sceneries which remind me a bit southern Morocco and Utah!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 11:58 AM

What a fabulous Wadi Rum page, Nicola ! Breathtaking desert landscape. Once I hope to come back to this area.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2005 at 4:08 AM

Great!!! You're so lucky that you could see Wadi Rum with the sun. When I was there (two weeks ago) raining and I could see all the fantastic landscape of this fantastic place!!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 11:06 PM

Just to be accurate : the name "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" given to this cliff is modern, and Lawrence took the title of his book from a Bible quotation.

• Gerrem's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2005 at 4:11 AM

Interesting accommodation tip... cold but romantic...

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 3:44 PM

What a great place to celebrate your birthday. That was a quick thinking friend that you was with. Beautiful scenery shots.

Badges & Stats in Wadi Rum

Have you been to Wadi Rum?

Latest Activity in Wadi Rum