"Magical Wadi Rum" Top 5 Page for this destination Wadi Rum by freya_heaven
Wadi Rum Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 562 photos
I had the most Magical time at Wadi Rum, On our second day there it was my 24th birthday, unbeknown to Alex my travelling companion.
After a day walking, we were in our tent trying to get warm and sort out our tea (Pitta & Cheese).
When the restaurant manager came to our tent and invited us to eat in the restaurant.
It turned out it was also Rami's (the restaurant managers) birthday, which they were celebrating in the restaurant with lots of singing & dancing.
After our meal I told Alex it was actually my birthday too, which she then without my knowing told the Rami. I was then sung to by the other tourists and staff in the restaurant.
Later in the evening Alex & I were the only ones left, wanting to spend as long as we could in the warm before heading back to our tent.
We were then invited by Rami and his boss, out in to the Desert, as they were going to go out there to meet some people to celebrate Ramis birthday. We accepted, and off we went in a huge old truck with Rami,and his boss in the Rum Desert.
After a while of bumping around over the rocky desert, we came to a Bedouin tent, with a fire and about 5 or 6 other local men. Then the fun really began.................
Everyone took it in turns to entertain, dance, clap and, or sing songs a couple of the men were drumming on drums they had taken. We were obviously a lot more selfconsious than they were, as they seemed to all know each other very well, but we did our bit.
All this around a fire, in the desert, with the most beautiful star filled night. It was all so surreal and yet at the same time felt so natural for us to be there.
Later someone offered to take Alex & I further in to the Desert in the truck, we accepted, but we seemed to be going much further than expected, so not wanting to offend anyone with our concerns, Alex pretended to be sick out if the window (~_~) !
We were taken back to our tent at about 3 in the morning.
Looking back I can not believe we let ourselves get in to such a vunerable situation and were so trusting, to be honest now I am older & wiser I certainly wouldnt to it again.
But what a wonderful, totally unplanned and impromptu evening we we would have missed had we not accepted, I can not imagine any birthday in the future will live up to my 24th,
A Truly Magical Experience And Birthday...................................
Dont forget to have a look at my other JORDAN related pages.
Madaba (including Mount nebo)
- Pros:Beautiful, wonderful history
- Cons:Not that easy to get to, if you are not on a tour bus
- In a nutshell:Vast, beautiful and romantic
An excellent book is "Treks & Climbs in Wadi Rum" by Tony Howard. I would recommend anyone going to Wadi Rum... more travel advice
Wadi Rum is so vast & has such an empty feel. Its not often one feel quite so insignificant in the great scheme of... more travel advice
freya_heaven's Related Pages
Wadi Rum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wadi Rum is beautiful!"
- "Wadi Rum - the Red Desert."
- "Wadi Rum: the fantastic Jordan desert"
- "Wadi Rum"
- "Magical Wadi Rum"
- "Wadi Rum"
- "Our First Desert Experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wadi Rum
- Hotels in Wadi Rum
- Transportation in Wadi Rum
- Nightlife in Wadi Rum
- Restaurants in Wadi Rum
- Shopping in Wadi Rum
- Warnings and Dangers in Wadi Rum
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wadi Rum
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Wadi Rum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wadi Rum
Top 10 Pages
- Israel Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 46 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 40 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 43 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Jordan Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Austell Intro, 29 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (56)
Latest Wadi Rum hotel reviews
- Captain's Desert Camp
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013