"Tetouan" Top 5 Page for this destination Tetouan by freya_heaven

Tetouan Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 310 photos

"Tet-ta-wan" means "open your eyes" in the Berber language of North Africa. %f*

I found the Souks and Medina the most confusing of any I have been in. I think it was probably because I was with a tour group for the first time, rather than wandering around on our own.

There was a very Spanish feel to Tetouan, (not surprising , I know). Spanish is still the second language of many of the older Tetouanis, as Tetouan has twice been occuped by the Spanish, the first time in 1859 - 1862, then again in 1913 to 1956.

• Pros:Friendly people & Beautiful Riff Mountain Views
  • Cons:The Nightmare Sales Men
  • In a nutshell:Great Place, but visit on your own
  • Last visit to Tetouan: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 15, 2005

• Jan 21, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Couldn't agree more. We loved it.

My sister and I visited Tetouan in May 2012. We are mature women (54 and 56 y.o.) and were traveling with my sister's teenage daughter. I'm writing to recommend our outstanding guide, Mr. Mhamed El Khattabi, an official certified guide who speaks excellent English. We told him we were interested in culture, history and people -- no shopping -- and he respected that perfectly. As we passed through the busy market areas, he was very protective of my niece in a kindly fatherly way. He also recommended the excellent Riad Daria, which was delightfully charming and a good value for money. We were extremely happy with the services of Mhamed and want to recommend him most warmly as a kind, knowledgeable, and very honest individual.

Here is Mhamed's cell No.: 0672549398.

• varicella's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2006 at 1:03 PM

ý liked this so much..morrocco is in my must seen list..

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 1:15 AM

Very goo and amusing tips :-) I didn't see Rif Mountains from the city (bad weather) and honestly I didn't like Tetouan at all.

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 12:32 PM

This takes me back to last week Nicola,i was there.I must admit i walked out of the carpet shop idon't think they were very happy with me LOL.

• Oct 22, 2005 at 8:39 AM

Hi ! Nice Tetouan page. I live in Tetouan, and I'm a Berber. I suppose Tetouan comes from berber "ittawin" which only means "eyes" :) The city looks better, I hope you'll come back again. Cheers.

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 9:37 AM

Thank you very much. I missed Mr Mustapha on this page.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2005 at 2:35 PM

Hi Nicola...the opening pic...and some of the others are just gorg! Blu

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 1:19 PM

No wonder you didn't buy any carpets! (~_~) On my visit to Tetouan, decades ago, a guy asked me to read a letter in German to him. He understood German and several other languages perfectly well, but was illiterate in all of them.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 12:32 AM

Lovely Tetouan page, Nicola ! Wonderful opening picture with the Rif mountains ! I visited also Tetouan with a tourgroup while at a short cruise, visiting Morocco in one day.

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 5:12 AM

Such a magical adventure! Thanks so much for dropping by my Goa :) Your homepage is really fascinating. And a happy belated birthday too!!! ... Siddharth

Badges & Stats in Tetouan

Have you been to Tetouan?

Latest Activity in Tetouan