"Island of Vectis Very Near To Britannia" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight by freya_heaven

Isle of Wight Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 612 photos

For over 200 years the Island had been a popular holiday area with the British. Especially so once Queen Victoria made her holiday home on the island & spent her autumn years here once Albert her husband had died

The Roman name for the island was "Island of Vectis very near to Britannia" from 50 AD, the name was changed to the Isle of Wight in roughtly 500 AD. It is thought Wight was used as in Roman it means split (split from the British mainland!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Osbourne House is very beautiful, a definate "must see" for any visit to the island

The Isle of Wight has attracted not only royalty to its shores but many other rich & famous.

King Charles 1 was held prisoner in Carisbrooke Castle for a year.

Guglielmo Marconi tested his revolutionary wireless telegraphy from the Needles to 20 miles across the sea at Poole in the British mainland in 1897.

The Authur J B Priestly lived here for over 25 years unril 1959.

David Niven spent a large part of his childhood living in Bembridge

The likes of Winston Churchhill, Karl Marx, Lewis Carroll were frequent visiters to name a but a few of the islands famous visitors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much of the island is still very rural, olde worlde thatched cottages, splended Georgian houses mixed with the occassional Art Deco building & old farm housees are dotted all over.

The south of the island is less commercial & built up thank the north, this area was my personal favourite.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Last visit to Isle of Wight: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 18, 2005

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 7:03 AM

I lived in Dorset but I couldnt find a chance to visit Isle of Wight. After visiting your page, I realized I missed a beautiful place. Great tips and great photos here. Bora

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 12:22 AM

Excellent info, thanks for sharing

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Sounds like you might have made an ass of yourself at the sanctuary. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Lovely informative pages. The thatching reminded me of Chipping Campden.

• ginte's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 3:08 AM

Looks like a nice place for a visit one day;-) I just need to discover more of England.

• mart8777's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2005 at 9:56 AM

Nice I O W. info, and the place you stayed is an attractive part of the island. Seaview, St Helens and Bembridge are all very nice places to visit.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2005 at 6:40 PM

Nicola, Wonderfully Wight tips & pics! I see u can even fly Wight! Nothing Wong either about old boats winding up all Wight rather than on the bottom! Ere I thought Wight was Wong, my mistake. Doug (^_^)

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2005 at 3:39 AM

Wonderful read! Given a choice, I would go for the Garlic farm and Donkey sanctuary :) Nicola and Cadbury's vend - a coincidence ... Nah, I don't buy that.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 12:23 AM

Wonderful page - brought back some very happy memories of my stay there! Thanks for sharing!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 8:27 PM

Oh my! Shame on me when I see what gems you have exposed and being an ex-IsleOfWighter and not written anything myself on the Island. You brought back some fond memories.Beautiful pictures and first class info...Thanks.Tim

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2005 at 9:50 AM

Thanks Nicola - brought back many happy memories!

Badges & Stats in Isle of Wight

Have you been to Isle of Wight?

Latest Activity in Isle of Wight