"Island of Vectis Very Near To Britannia" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight by freya_heaven
Isle of Wight Travel Guide: 317 reviews and 666 photos
The Roman name for the island was "Island of Vectis very near to Britannia" from 50 AD, the name was changed to the Isle of Wight in roughtly 500 AD. It is thought Wight was used as in Roman it means split (split from the British mainland!)
The Isle of Wight has attracted not only royalty to its shores but many other rich & famous.
King Charles 1 was held prisoner in Carisbrooke Castle for a year.
Guglielmo Marconi tested his revolutionary wireless telegraphy from the Needles to 20 miles across the sea at Poole in the British mainland in 1897.
The Authur J B Priestly lived here for over 25 years unril 1959.
David Niven spent a large part of his childhood living in Bembridge
The likes of Winston Churchhill, Karl Marx, Lewis Carroll were frequent visiters to name a but a few of the islands famous visitors.
The south of the island is less commercial & built up thank the north, this area was my personal favourite.
The Isle of Wight is very proud of its association with the Romans & the time they spent here, there is evidence of... more travel advice
Sandown has a lovely sprawling 2 mile beach & promanade stretching as far as Shanklin. The pier here is a big... more travel advice
- See All Pearls
- See All Bembridge Boat Houses
- The Disappearing Island
- See All Go for a Walk
freya_heaven's Related Pages
Isle of Wight Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My childhood years on the Island"
- "Island of Vectis Very Near To Britannia"
- "ISLE OF WIGHT - THE DIAMOND ISLE"
- "Isle of Wight Magic"
- "Isle of Wight - a history"
- "Nostalgia trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Wight
- Hotels in Isle of Wight
- Transportation in Isle of Wight
- Nightlife in Isle of Wight
- Restaurants in Isle of Wight
- Shopping in Isle of Wight
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Wight
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isle of Wight
- 33 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Isle of Wight?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Wight
- updated a Isle of Wight Travel Page "Island of Vectis Very Near To Britannia"
- Posted in Travel Isle of Wight Forum "RE: Is this Sandown or Shanklin?"
- Commented on one of budapest8's Isle of Wight travel pages
- Wrote a Review Brading Roman Villa in Isle of Wight Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shanklin"
Top 10 Pages
- Israel Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 60 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 46 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cyprus Intro, 40 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 43 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Jordan Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Austell Intro, 29 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues