"Welcome to Rockall" The Rock by msforbes
The Rock Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 9 photos
Rockall is located 57°35’48”N 13°41’19”W
It's in the middle of the Atlantic betwean Ireland and Iceland. It is tiny: only 19m high, 25m across and 30m wide.
Teritorial claims to the island come from the U.K., Ireland, Iceland and Denmark. Most recently Greenpeace has staked its claim, calling it Waveland.
The British originally claimed ownership on Rockall in 1955. A number of 'annexation' forces actually climbed the rock to rubber-stamp the territorial claim. The UK Government subsequently passed an Act of Parliament in 1971 incorporating Rockall into Invernesshire in Scotland. They followed this by installing a navigational beacon on the island, and declaring that no craft would be allowed within 50 miles of the rock2. This prompted a fierce diplomatic fight where the status of Rockall as an island was put into question. Enter John Ridgeway and SAS man Tom McLean who, at separate times in the 1980s, climbed the rock and stayed there for one month, thus apparently validating Rockall's right to be an island, and therefore to be a sovereign part of British territory.
In 1994 Rockall made the news because because Greenpeace landed on it as a protest against the old drilling etc and attempted to claim Rockall as its own property by dint of staying on the rock longer than anyone else in history (42 days). Greenpeace protesters Al and Peter replaced the navigational beacon with a solar-powered one and declared Rockall the sovereign territory of Waveland, announcing that it was now, 'two steps closer to freedom from oil development and industrialisation'. The status of Rockall remains unresolved to the present day.
- Pros:Very good fishing and oil prospects
- Cons:It's very difficult to get on, and once you're on you stay on.
- In a nutshell:I'm looking to emigrate
Oh the empire is finished no foreign lands to seize, So the greedy eyes of England are looking towards the seas, Two... more travel advice
The Rockall Times is an anarchic and hilarious website featuring highly satirical articles on the world's current... more travel advice
msforbes' Related Pages
The Rock Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in The Rock
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to The Rock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Rock
Top 10 Pages
- France Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vologda Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Van Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- State of Kerala Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- The Rock Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Eger Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rameswaram Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Puerto Madryn Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Romania Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue