"Let Me Tell You A Story" Top 5 Page for this destination Rameswaram by msforbes
Rameswaram Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 71 photos
usually when i travel, i have no itinerary, just an end destination. on my trip last year that destination was sri lanka. i'm in goa, and i just heard news that the governments of india, and sri lanka have agreed to open their waterway, i was very pleased to hear this because i hate flying. the route was to be tutucorin to columbo. on arrival in tutucorin, i found my way to the shipping company that were to take care of ferry service. they told me that permission was not yet granted, it could be tomorrow, it could be next year. if you have any updated information on this, please let me know.
so, i didn't want to fly to sri lanka, but even if i did, all the flights were booked for the next few months. the least i could do was to go to adam's bridge, and i'd be 17km to sri lanka, so i did.
I can't remember the distance, i hired a bycycle, left early in the morning, and was back before 17:00 if my memory serves me right. Once i left town, it was a straight road, pacing through some shady palm paths, and fishing villages. the road ended. i pushed my bike, adam's bridge seemed just aroud the corner, but that was many corners. someone in a truck much like the one in this photo offered me a ride, so i hoped on.
So the rest of the way to adam's bridge was about 4km. this is an important spot for hindu's, now here's what i remember, i would like it if there are any hindu vters out there to please elaborate.
now the bridge (which is a sand bar with a series of mini sandy islands) was built to transport Rama, hero of ramayana to sri lanka to rescue his wife from the demon king ravanna.
now why didn't i just do that you ask, well Rama didn't have the indian navy that i saw on the horizon to deal with.
There is a main temple dominating the centre of town. I didn't take a photo, don't know why it just didn't feel right.... more travel advice
at last, i made it, and here's the photo, the start of adam's bridge, where the gulf of mannar, and the palk stait meet. more travel advice
msforbes' Related Pages
Rameswaram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Let Me Tell You A Story"
- "Blend of Spirituality, History and Seaside!!"
- "Thirty Feet Above The Ocean"
- "A Major Pilgrim Centre Down South"
- "Rameswaram: renowned Hindu Pilgrimage center"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rameswaram
- Hotels in Rameswaram
- Transportation in Rameswaram
- Restaurants in Rameswaram
- Shopping in Rameswaram
- Warnings and Dangers in Rameswaram
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rameswaram
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Rameswaram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rameswaram
Top 10 Pages
- France Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vologda Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Van Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- State of Kerala Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- The Rock Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Eger Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rameswaram Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Puerto Madryn Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Romania Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue