"Let Me Tell You A Story" Top 5 Page for this destination Rameswaram by msforbes

Rameswaram Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 62 photos

So, I'm Trying To Get To Sri Lanka

usually when i travel, i have no itinerary, just an end destination. on my trip last year that destination was sri lanka. i'm in goa, and i just heard news that the governments of india, and sri lanka have agreed to open their waterway, i was very pleased to hear this because i hate flying. the route was to be tutucorin to columbo. on arrival in tutucorin, i found my way to the shipping company that were to take care of ferry service. they told me that permission was not yet granted, it could be tomorrow, it could be next year. if you have any updated information on this, please let me know.
so, i didn't want to fly to sri lanka, but even if i did, all the flights were booked for the next few months. the least i could do was to go to adam's bridge, and i'd be 17km to sri lanka, so i did.

From Rameswaram to Adam's Bridge

I can't remember the distance, i hired a bycycle, left early in the morning, and was back before 17:00 if my memory serves me right. Once i left town, it was a straight road, pacing through some shady palm paths, and fishing villages. the road ended. i pushed my bike, adam's bridge seemed just aroud the corner, but that was many corners. someone in a truck much like the one in this photo offered me a ride, so i hoped on.

So the rest of the way to adam's bridge was about 4km. this is an important spot for hindu's, now here's what i remember, i would like it if there are any hindu vters out there to please elaborate.
now the bridge (which is a sand bar with a series of mini sandy islands) was built to transport Rama, hero of ramayana to sri lanka to rescue his wife from the demon king ravanna.
now why didn't i just do that you ask, well Rama didn't have the indian navy that i saw on the horizon to deal with.

• Last visit to Rameswaram: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Oct 11, 2003

• Jul 24, 2006 at 7:50 AM

u suck.Ya speak bad about god. ya'll realise yer mistake.How tha HELL can ya talk bad about GOD. Yer filled with filth. You "FILTHY JERK"

• radz's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2004 at 5:25 AM

Rameswaram is one of the scared place IN India.So u r blessed by Rama.:))Nice details introduction page.

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2004 at 2:02 AM

Namaste - I grew up with folks from Sri Lanka (colombo) --- but somehow they never told me about any lingam.... :D

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2004 at 10:23 AM

You are adventurous guy! Nice place Scott! :-)

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2004 at 3:50 PM

Is that statue/monument possibly a lingam?

• yumiyun's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2003 at 9:29 PM

If you know the story of Ramayana Rameswaram is an interesting place to visit, isn't it? You must visit Sri Lanka someday - it's a great place!

• R-men's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2003 at 7:15 AM

nice adds

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2003 at 12:54 PM

Tamil Nadu - beautiful!!! See my Kerala pages Best wishes Nada

• Beograd's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2003 at 11:46 AM

My dear friend this looks great! I am glad to finaly have some tips I can rate :-)

msforbes

“"I love all the people, except for the hypocrites" Bob Marley”

Badges & Stats in Rameswaram

Have you been to Rameswaram?

Latest Activity in Rameswaram