"Jim35's Kiribati Page" Kiribati by Jim35
Kiribati Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 212 photos
Media Mention: Kiribati is mentioned in the movie Shallow Hal as the Peace Corps assignment of Gwyneth Paltrow's character.
I lived in Kiribati as a boy for about 9 months. I think the year was 1977 and the islands were still called the Gilbert Islands. I lived on a very small atol named Beru where my dad was teaching shop at the new high school there.
At the time the Gilbertese (now i-kiribati) were trying to modernize so the the High School focused mostly on practical skills and English. I remember taking an electronics class from my father (I was a bit young to grasp it completely but I remember Ohm's law and using the acronym Roy G. Biv to identify resistance levels of resistors.)
I've got to admit that I didn't really like it much while I was there (being only around 10 years old) but looking back on it now, it was an experience I wouldn't give up for anything.
I wish I had pictures. Maybe my parents have a few... I'll try to round out the page as best I can with recollections, stories and pictures (if I can find them)
- Pros:A unique experience in primitive living.
- Cons:Not the best place to be 10 years old.
- In a nutshell:No fun at the time but, looking back, a great experience I'd never trade.
I don't remember there being any restaurants, but I do remember going to the 'maneaba' or central meeting hut for a... more travel advice
Falling Coconuts: I'm not kidding! If you hear rustling in the palm fronds of the trees above you don't assume it's a... more travel advice
Jim35's Related Pages
Kiribati Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Moose in Kiribati"
- "AyurinHiro's honeymoon travel to Kiribati!"
- "Jim35's Kiribati Page"
- "NeilJanice's new Kiribati Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kiribati
- Hotels in Kiribati
- Transportation in Kiribati
- Nightlife in Kiribati
- Restaurants in Kiribati
- Shopping in Kiribati
- Warnings and Dangers in Kiribati
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ramanagaram Hotels
- Upper Klamath National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Monte Gordo
- Munich Hotels
- Auderghem Hotels
- Olympic National Park
- Humboldt Lagoons State Park Hotels
- Gold Coast
- Lac Sainte Anne
- Gujranwala Hotels
Badges & Stats in Kiribati
- 4 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kiribati?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiribati
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 1 review, 32 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naples Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manhattan Beach Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shreveport 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grand Saline Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 2 travelogues