"Jim35's Kiribati Page" Kiribati by Jim35

Kiribati Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 212 photos

Media Mention: Kiribati is mentioned in the movie Shallow Hal as the Peace Corps assignment of Gwyneth Paltrow's character.

I lived in Kiribati as a boy for about 9 months. I think the year was 1977 and the islands were still called the Gilbert Islands. I lived on a very small atol named Beru where my dad was teaching shop at the new high school there.

At the time the Gilbertese (now i-kiribati) were trying to modernize so the the High School focused mostly on practical skills and English. I remember taking an electronics class from my father (I was a bit young to grasp it completely but I remember Ohm's law and using the acronym Roy G. Biv to identify resistance levels of resistors.)

I've got to admit that I didn't really like it much while I was there (being only around 10 years old) but looking back on it now, it was an experience I wouldn't give up for anything.

I wish I had pictures. Maybe my parents have a few... I'll try to round out the page as best I can with recollections, stories and pictures (if I can find them)

• Pros:A unique experience in primitive living.
  • Cons:Not the best place to be 10 years old.
  • In a nutshell:No fun at the time but, looking back, a great experience I'd never trade.
  • Last visit to Kiribati: Dec 1969
  • Intro Updated Jan 23, 2012

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2005 at 3:46 PM

You are so right about the coconuts! I had several close calls on Abaiang.

• Jul 15, 2004 at 1:54 AM

Jim, thats brilliant! I just had 6+ months there, mostly Tarawa, but some outerislands. Your descriptions are perfect!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2003 at 11:19 AM

Ithink some people actually get killed by falling coconuts.

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2003 at 10:58 PM

Really interested in the different fruits that become available around the world that I never knew existed.........great page on Kiribati thank you.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2003 at 2:59 AM

You sure had some wonderful experiences :)) Screw-pine??? ha,ha.....

• Aussie666's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2003 at 1:25 PM

Jim...the lobsters were just a cover, think back man think!

• heplion's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2003 at 2:12 AM

I had an incident with falling coconuts in the BVI, and love the food dexcriptions!

• skye820's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2002 at 7:38 PM

okay, now i know where this place is ;)

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2002 at 11:48 PM

Hey jim....cool page. I dream of these kinds of places all the time!

• chrissyalex's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2002 at 1:30 PM

Very interesting page! Glad to know u didn`t get hit by any c

Jim35

“Oh, the places you'll go...”

Badges & Stats in Kiribati

Have you been to Kiribati?

Latest Activity in Kiribati